25 | Manuel Akanji - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he started really well but thought the comparisons to Kompany were insane.

Then he went through this weird period of never putting in a stinker but never playing well either. We conceded goals against United, Brentford, and Villa this season where he was the last man but didn't put a tackle in, he just stared at the ball while it went past Ederson.

But the last two months have been an absolutely huge improvement. Hope he keeps this form up.

I think he started really well but thought the comparisons to Kompany were insane.

Then he went through this weird period of never putting in a stinker but never playing well either. We conceded goals against United, Brentford, and Villa this season where he was the last man but didn't put a tackle in, he just stared at the ball while it went past Ederson.

But the last two months have been an absolutely huge improvement. Hope he keeps this form up.

I think he's been massively helped by Dias coming back to fitness and bringing his mentality. Earlier in the season he was a bit too lackadaisical, didn't keep the concentration for 90 mins.

I like him, but I think we might sell him in a year or 18 months for £50m so he can go and start somewhere else like Newcastle or Chelsea because Stones, Dias and Aké are better IMO and he should want playing time in those peak years.

I think he's been massively helped by Dias coming back to fitness and bringing his mentality. Earlier in the season he was a bit too lackadaisical, didn't keep the concentration for 90 mins.

I like him, but I think we might sell him in a year or 18 months for £50m so he can go and start somewhere else like Newcastle or Chelsea because Stones, Dias and Aké are better IMO and he should want playing time in those peak years.
He has and will play plenty of games, especially with us playing at least 3 CB and Stones and Ake having very different roles to Akanji.

When we signed him he was at his lowest ebb and unable to get in the Dortmund side and i couldnt see the sense in the deal , bloody hell was i wrong , he improves with every game and he intimidates opposing players with his strength and power , could not see what Pep saw in him at first , but its clear as day now ,a great defender.
Txiki special. Saw a bargain and picked him up on the chance a change of environment and a better coach could do him the world of good. Was poor at Dortmund last season but the raw attributes were there.

Ake as been Mr dependable this season
But Akanji was right up there last night
What a bargain buy he's turned out to be. CTID

The fact that we have Ake, Laporte and Akanji as options on the left of defence is amazing. I hope Laporte stays (as unlikely as it might seem) cos the cover for so many positions with those 3 is unreal.

He has and will play plenty of games, especially with us playing at least 3 CB and Stones and Ake having very different roles to Akanji.

Yeah I just think it's unsustainable to have 5 top quality CBs in one squad. We've seen Laporte wants a move, if we buy Gvardiol or someone to replace him (or a proper LB and Aké goes back into CB), then someone else will probably want oto leave this time next year and we'll have a little rotating door, which is totally OK.

Summed up pretty well I think.

He looked a rolls royce of a centre half at first, then dipped in form, and now he's back. I thought he went a bit soft, but it was noticeable in the bayern home game in particular that he was much more aggressive

Very handy player (and character it seems) to have around if he keeps it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.