#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top players by mins per goal or assist.

Mahrez 1st

These stats were calculated before Arsenal - Man City game so maybe KDB is now a lil bit higher in this ranking.

Top players by mins per goal or assist.

Mahrez 1st

These stats were calculated before Arsenal - Man City game so maybe KDB is now a lil bit higher in this ranking.

One thing about Mahrez whether people like it or not is that he's the 2nd best direct goal threat, after KDB.
In terms of having the vision to play through balls and having the execution do to so with pace and precision, he's 2nd behind KDB.
Crossing? 2nd behind KDB (Bernardo and Mendy are close)
Scoring from range? 2nd behind KDB.
Doing all of this with the weaker foot? 2nd behind KDB.

Given how outrageously talented KDB and the rest of the team are, the fact that Mahrez is so comparitively gifted is a treat. Like KDB, he can have a weak showing but still contribute in some way to the scoresheet. There've been a few times his performances have been legitimately criticised, and yet he came away with a goal or assist. Remember when we beat Chelsea recently? Who was it that won us the game with a sublime individual goal?

The fact is he's a rare player that can be useful even when he's playing poorly. Now his form has dipped and obviously that's not ideal but given this talent he deserves as much opportunity as possible. Because if it ever truly clicks for him we'd have a monster on our hands.

People should go back to around page 25-30 on this. He's still the same player capable of the same stuff. We ought to remember that. Not demanding he's sold because he hasn't pulled up trees too recently or after a particularly poor cameo.

Also, I'd be disappointed if there were to be a multitude of replies explaining why those stats don't matter (eg the opposition or timing of those goals/assists - neither would be valid). We get enough of that shit in the Jesus thread.

Last edited:
One thing about Mahrez whether people like it or not is that he's the 2nd best direct goal threat, after KDB.
In terms of having the vision to play through balls and having the execution do to so with pace and precision, he's 2nd behind KDB.
Crossing? 2nd behind KDB (Bernardo and Mendy are close)
Scoring from range? 2nd behind KDB.
Doing all of this with the weaker foot? 2nd behind KDB.

Given how outrageously talented KDB and the rest of the team are, the fact that Mahrez is so comparitively gifted is a treat. Like KDB, he can have a weak showing but still contribute in some way to the scoresheet. There've been a few times his performances have been legitimately criticised, and yet he came away with a goal or assist. Remember when we beat Chelsea recently? Who was it that won us the game with a sublime individual goal?

The fact is he's a rare player that can be useful even when he's playing poorly. Now his form has dipped and obviously that's not ideal but given this talent he deserves as much opportunity as possible. Because if it ever truly clicks for him we'd have a monster on our hands.

People should go back to around page 25-30 on this. He's still the same player capable of the same stuff. We ought to remember that. Not demanding he's sold because he hasn't pulled up trees too recently or after a particularly poor cameo.

Also, I'd be disappointed if there were to be a multitude of replies explaining why those stats don't matter (eg the opposition or timing of those goals/assists - neither would be valid). We get enough of that shit in the Jesus thread.

The problem for Mahrez is the team he plays in. He and Salah are similar types of players and when we signed him, I hoped he would be our Salah. Problem is, Salah has a bunch of workman behind him in midfield and a fullback that bombs forward on the outside, allowing him to get further inside into more dangerous/goalscoring positions. Mahrez has creative midfielders behind him, who want the space in the middle and a full back behind him who gets forward twice a season, it is also clear that our wide players are told to make the pitch as wide as possible, so he is glued to the touchline. I have been very critical of Mahrez because I don't think he does enough but in fairness to him, I don't think he is helped by our tactics.

The problem for Mahrez is the team he plays in. He and Salah are similar types of players and when we signed him, I hoped he would be our Salah. Problem is, Salah has a bunch of workman behind him in midfield and a fullback that bombs forward on the outside, allowing him to get further inside into more dangerous/goalscoring positions. Mahrez has creative midfielders behind him, who want the space in the middle and a full back behind him who gets forward twice a season, it is also clear that our wide players are told to make the pitch as wide as possible, so he is glued to the touchline. I have been very critical of Mahrez because I don't think he does enough but in fairness to him, I don't think he is helped by our tactics.
The biggest problem with Mahrez, IMHO, is that he is often too selfish where as we have other people in the team who aren't selfish enough. However, the issue is when there are others in better positions than him, he more often than not will ignore them to take a shot. For Leicester in their title winning season, that would come off, but it just hasn't for us as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.