#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mendy's game could improve immensely if he was became more spatially aware of what he's crossing to: ie maybe look up more and also moderate the strength of the cross, a big big strapping lad who's thighs know no bounds.

Mendy + Mario Mandzukic would be an absolute dream. Not sure his talents (and his crossing talent is immense when he's on it) are best suited to our style.

Mahrez was absolutely great last night. I hope he carries it on because he'll be huge for our Champions League run if he does.

Mahrez is a trump card player, he's the only player really capable of a moment of magic. Yes he can be frustrating but you can't understate the value of having a player like him in the squad.

Mahrez is a trump card player, he's the only player really capable of a moment of magic. Yes he can be frustrating but you can't understate the value of having a player like him in the squad.
I'd wager De Bruyne has that ahead of him. Foden and Aguero have that ability to make things happen too, albeit to lesser extents. Gundogan as of late too but I don't have any idea whether it'll last or not.

However yes, Mahrez definitely does have that ability to pull a proverbial rabbit out of that hat to a high degree, and right now it's a trait I very much value in him.

I'd wager De Bruyne has that ahead of him. Foden and Aguero have that ability to make things happen too.

However yes, Mahrez does have that ability to pull a proverbial rabbit out of that hat, and right now it's a trait I very much value in him.

KDB does in terms of his passing ability but Mahrez has more tools considering his dribbling ability like the goal vs Chelsea last season. Aguero and potentially Foden do as well but, in this current squad, Mahrez is probably the most capable imo.

KDB does in terms of his passing ability but Mahrez has more tools considering his dribbling ability like the goal vs Chelsea last season. Aguero and potentially Foden do as well but, in this current squad, Mahrez is probably the most capable imo.
I'd still wager KDB, but it comes down to personal taste. I see the goals De Bruyne scored in the last season alone against the likes of Arsenal x2, Chelsea, Newcastle, Lyon, Watford, Norwich x2 and I think he's more capable of magic on both the goals and assists front. He also is something else when it comes to counter attacks.

Although again, Mahrez has his excellent moments too. Just not on KDB's level for me. Honestly I'd only put Neymar and Messi on at least that level right now.

When I think about it we're actually quite spoilt on this front at City. I didn't mention them before but Cancelo and Bernardo are really showing this side to themselves and Torres, Sterling, Jesus, and even Mendy (yes really) are all capable of occasionally doing something rather special with the ball at their feet too, albeit a bit more infrequently than the players mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited:
Our forwards don't really get a good run of games outside of Sterling so him being so inconsistent maybe due to this fact. Also the fact that a consistent Mahrez will forever be a pipedream. If Mahrez was consistent he'd be Messi. Yup that's not gonna happen. The sooner we accept that he is a streaky player capable of moments of sheer brilliance the better for everyone.

Our forwards don't really get a good run of games outside of Sterling so him being so inconsistent maybe due to this fact. Also the fact that a consistent Mahrez will forever be a pipedream. If Mahrez was consistent he'd be Messi. Yup that's not gonna happen. The sooner we accept that he is a streaky player capable of moments of sheer brilliance the better for everyone.

If Mahrez was consistent, he’d be a good player. A consistent Mahrez is not one of the best footballers to play the game.

If Mahrez was consistent, he’d be a good player. A consistent Mahrez is not one of the best footballers to play the game.
Not Messi levels, but I do strongly believe that if Mahrez were as consistently close to his best as say Bernardo is now, then he'd be one of our best players. At his best, he's a world class dribbler, he's got world class technique, he's got brilliant shooting and crossing, strong on his weaker foot, and a far better eye for a pass than he's given credit for. He's positionally intelligent, and his defensive workrate, teamwork, and selflessness on a good day are of a very high level.

Mahrez is incredibly talented. It's all the things other than his talent that drag him down. Inconsistency being a big one of those things. All those great assets only make occasional appearances and then when they don't it turns out to be very detrimental to him and his performances; he can really stink out a joint on occasion. At his best, he's world class (and I'll die on this hill), but he doesn't hit that level anywhere near enough at this moment (although he's still better than people often say he is on the bad days).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.