#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long with Dias, Kev and Foden, a guaranteed starter at present. Unbelievable transformation in form in the last 6 months.

Since he smashed in that pen vs Dortmund in the 2nd leg QF as we were trailing on goal difference, he's been the difference maker. He was frustrating to watch because he always had the tools and talent but would shoot when there was someone better placed around the box.

With the false 9 formation, he is one of a very few (Foden + KdB) players in the team to take the courage to have a long distance pop at the goals and break a potential deadlock.

Long may it continue.

I was previously critical of Mahrez and never thought he’d reach his Leicester heights at City.

But oh how wrong I was. In the last 6 months or so, Mahrez has completely changed his game. He is so effective now on that right wing, and his decision making is superb. I’ve always liked a player who isn’t afraid to take on defenders and play with a bit of style, and I’m pleased to say he’s retained that part of his game too!

When he gets the ball on that left foot, and lines up to shoot or cross... You just know it’s going to be a close one. Edge of the seat kind of stuff

This is true. Some players get far more harshly criticised than others.

It'd be nice if all those players could be afforded that leniency, they are all City players after all.
I think a lot of it with Mahrez is his age (he’s been in his prime years in his time at City), that he’d already been playing in the Prem, had won the Prem POTS as well as the Premier League title, and he was a club record signing.

With all that, you’d think he would slot in and become a figurehead for the club. But for a long time he didn’t look cut out for City at all, even last Autumn it was a shock to see his performance against Burnley because it came out of nowhere.

I think everyone was more frustrated with Mahrez than most players we’ve ever bought.

Most of the other players we buy are younger, still in their development years, still got their prime years ahead of them, often haven’t played in the Prem before, certainly aren’t the leagues best player (wherever they’ve come from). So naturally, they get more slack.

The only other big signings we’ve made who’ve been in their prime have been Yaya, Fernandinho and Walker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair play to FFS because a lot of fans frustrations were that he wasn’t applying himself properly and not because he was shite but he has stepped up big time. We all know how good his technique is, I could watch that touch he does all day when one is drilled over to him and he controls it dead with the outside of his foot without breaking stride.
Touch is like Velcro .

I was previously critical of Mahrez and never thought he’d reach his Leicester heights at City.

But oh how wrong I was. In the last 6 months or so, Mahrez has completely changed his game. He is so effective now on that right wing, and his decision making is superb. I’ve always liked a player who isn’t afraid to take on defenders and play with a bit of style, and I’m pleased to say he’s retained that part of his game too!

When he gets the ball on that left foot, and lines up to shoot or cross... You just know it’s going to be a close one. Edge of the seat kind of stuff
Incredible transformation in the player, never doubted his talent, just never sure about his desire.

The player we have seen this last 6 moths looks hungry and is now one of the first names on the team sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.