26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahrez problem against PSG is that he was ignoring the overlap run more often than not and trying his "i might go wide...i mean it!" routine over and over to no end and inevitably cutting back into a dead end. I thought walker made some very nicely timed runs which were ignored over and over. Shame really.

Mahrez problem against PSG is that he was ignoring the overlap run more often than not and trying his "i might go wide...i mean it!" routine over and over to no end and inevitably cutting back into a dead end. I thought walker made some very nicely timed runs which were ignored over and over. Shame really.

The problem there is that Walker rarely produces anything dangerous in those positions. Creating space for Mahrez by taking a marker away from him is arguably the best thing Walker can do in that situation

The problem there is that Walker rarely produces anything dangerous in those positions. Creating space for Mahrez by taking a marker away from him is arguably the best thing Walker can do in that situation
Yes i agree except walker was finding actual space in behind the two markers were staying on mahrez.

Looks like there is some overreaction here. City need a 9. There’s no respect from the CBs or no number 9 to pin them back which allows them to play comfortably and pick up loose balls from Mahrez and Grealish. I saw both players put their full backs on skates. There wasn’t any end product because there was no 9 to link up play with effectively and combine with the two players, and de bruyne had a shocker of a game. Sterling isn’t that player and he also had a shocker

Walker should be helping Mahrez much more. He barely offered anything in the attack in the first half and Bernardo had to link up on that side, causing a big hole in the midfield. Walker is an animal in defense and tackling, idk if it was peps instructions or what because the second half he started venturing forward more

Looks like there is some overreaction here. City need a 9. There’s no respect from the CBs or no number 9 to pin them back which allows them to play comfortably and pick up loose balls from Mahrez and Grealish. I saw both players put their full backs on skates. There wasn’t any end product because there was no 9 to link up play with effectively and combine with the two players, and de bruyne had a shocker of a game. Sterling isn’t that player and he also had a shocker

Walker should be helping Mahrez much more. He barely offered anything in the attack in the first half and Bernardo had to link up on that side, causing a big hole in the midfield. Walker is an animal in defense and tackling, idk if it was peps instructions or what because the second half he started venturing forward more

Walker had to guard against a counter-attack featuring Neymar, Messi and Mbappé

I’m curious to see what happens with Mahrez in respect to a new contract. He will be 31 in January and will only have 18 months left. If a new contract is not offered or agreed soon, then I can see him moving on next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.