26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s very technical and always clean with the ball… however, I think we need more going forward.

I’d personally sell him, Sterling, Jesus…
With Haaland and Alvarez coming in, we don’t need to buy anyone else; especially having Palmer waiting his turn to be a regular.
What bollocks lol

Last night was a perfect example of Mahrez for us. Sublime first touch, unlike any other. Scored a vital goal and became a threat once we had the lead. But I still cannot overlook the moment that could have proved so vital when he was gifted possession by their keeper, a simple right footed pass of 10yards would have presented either Kev or Phil a tap in.Yet he wanted to get on his left to shoot and was closed down. Score that and all the pressure is released & my nails would be in better shape this morning.

No one can dispute he has been one of our best for quite a while but his tendency to do this at vital times drives me mad. All players miss chances, I get that but Riyad has so much ability it surprises me how many times he doesn't make that sort of pass. When we have a lead and are coasting there is nothing better than vintage Mahrez but I really think given that we are signing young, fast strikers he will have to accept a reduced role in the next year or two.

Last night was a perfect example of Mahrez for us. Sublime first touch, unlike any other. Scored a vital goal and became a threat once we had the lead. But I still cannot overlook the moment that could have proved so vital when he was gifted possession by their keeper, a simple right footed pass of 10yards would have presented either Kev or Phil a tap in.Yet he wanted to get on his left to shoot and was closed down. Score that and all the pressure is released & my nails would be in better shape this morning.

No one can dispute he has been one of our best for quite a while but his tendency to do this at vital times drives me mad. All players miss chances, I get that but Riyad has so much ability it surprises me how many times he doesn't make that sort of pass. When we have a lead and are coasting there is nothing better than vintage Mahrez but I really think given that we are signing young, fast strikers he will have to accept a reduced role in the next year or two.
He's kind of like Sterling in all this sense. There's a brilliant player there, but also a really frustrating one.

But as long as he's providing good goal and assist numbers it can be looked past, mostly, for now.

He extremely rarely, to never, passes the ball when he has a chance of scoring. One of the most greedy players I have seen in my life.

We rarely look at our attackers as the jigsaw pieces I believe Pep sees them as. we tend to look at them expecting the complete package and fixate on their weaknesses but we have seemingly deliberately bought players in attack who aren't neccesarily brilliant all rounders but have at least one key attribute that they're absolutely world class at and Pep plays them when he wants to utilise that specific quality.

With Mahrez it's his first touch, control and technical ability, the cross pitch switch to him that's always on when he plays is vital to our game, it stretches the game and is our best method of creating space against walls. he's the only one that makes using that tactic regularly during a game a possibility.

With jesus, it's his intensity from the front both with and without the ball that allows us to play a high pressing game and cause countless turnovers we can punish.

with sterling it's his pace and movement off the ball that allows players to make passes only he is capable of getting on the end of.

All of them have unique skill sets that are vital for different opposition and all of them have their weaknesses, it just so happens that they all have similar issues when it comes to being clinical and when we've lost the jigsaw piece that was pure clinical finishing in Aguero and have yet to replace it, it's become more of an issue but mahrez has filled that gap better than anybody this season and deserves nothing but praise for the way he's stepped up.

Next season when we have Haaland, mahrez is going to excel even more than he has this season. Being able to find him out wide 1v1 and giving him a target like Haaland to find with his low whipped crosses will become our new signature goal in the same way the underlap, Cut back and tap in has been in recent years.

We rarely look at our attackers as the jigsaw pieces I believe Pep sees them as. we tend to look at them expecting the complete package and fixate on their weaknesses but we have seemingly deliberately bought players in attack who aren't neccesarily brilliant all rounders but have at least one key attribute that they're absolutely world class at and Pep plays them when he wants to utilise that specific quality.

With Mahrez it's his first touch, control and technical ability, the cross pitch switch to him that's always on when he plays is vital to our game, it stretches the game and is our best method of creating space against walls. he's the only one that makes using that tactic regularly during a game a possibility.

With jesus, it's his intensity from the front both with and without the ball that allows us to play a high pressing game and cause countless turnovers we can punish.

with sterling it's his pace and movement off the ball that allows players to make passes only he is capable of getting on the end of.

All of them have unique skill sets that are vital for different opposition and all of them have their weaknesses, it just so happens that they all have similar issues when it comes to being clinical and when we've lost the jigsaw piece that was pure clinical finishing in Aguero and have yet to replace it, it's become more of an issue but mahrez has filled that gap better than anybody this season and deserves nothing but praise for the way he's stepped up.

Next season when we have Haaland, mahrez is going to excel even more than he has this season. Being able to find him out wide 1v1 and giving him a target like Haaland to find with his low whipped crosses will become our new signature goal in the same way the underlap, Cut back and tap in has been in recent years.
Great post. 100% agreed. The whole team will play much better with a 9 like Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.