26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love it if he became more consistent, I have no personal vendetta against him. But he’s nearly 31 and has been here almost 3 and a half years so I just don’t see it happening.
Like a new contract

He was not at his best yesterday, but there's an incredibly talented player inside not showing his best. Personally I think he's a 'confidence player'. He finds it difficult not playing regularly. Sometimes when he's played really well then he's taken off or dropped for the next match, I think it plays on his mind more than others. I suspect his marriage breakup has not helped the situation. His ex-wife was advising players not to join City because they wouldn't play as regularly, which she thought contributed to their breakup. I hope he plays more and finds his form again. A strong mentality is critical for a football player, particularly where there's so much competition for places.

Last edited:
I expect mahrez to still contribute a lot this season

I very much hope so, he was important last season and I defended him before he found form. Without at least one from him and Sterling on form, we'll probably struggle this season. Rotation is key to our chances in the league and the cups.

As to whether he will displace Jesus at some point, I'll leave that for Pep to decide.

Some of the criticisms are over the top. Thought he was decent and he has a great pass on him. He can’t finish to save his life though. I’ve always been extremely critical on his finishing, it’s not at the level it should be. Do believe he will play better as the season goes on. He’s the type of player to get fitter as the season goes on since he barely puts in any work in his off season

to the people saying he was destroying niger, no he wasn’t I watched both games lol, he def did not play well, bennacer, feghouli, and benrahma were far better. and those African teams are really tough to play against; you’re playing on a potato field with 60’s style leg breaking tackles and all teams have a relatively high level athletism.

At the end of this season he will be 31 with 1 year left on his contract.

Unfortunately for wingers the decline after 30 is real. I think we have been seeing this lately also, Mahrez has never been that "quick" to begin with.

We should either sell after this season to make some money and instantly have Palmer take his spot, or
keep him for a year if Pep thinks Palmer needs a year of 3rd winger backup (to Mahrez and Jesus).

Personally think we should sell him for like 20-25m or so (because only 1 year and age) and Palmer can still be backup to Jesus, so it's not like he will be thrown in as a "starter".

he had a bad game, no doubt, but that's very harsh imo
He missed a couple of genuine sitters at Spurs on the opening day that were probably even worse than Saturday and which probably would have led to a very different match and outcome that day.
His finishing is pretty poor for a player of his ability. But then that is a criticism that can be aimed at the majority of our squad tbf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.