26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His last assist from open play in the Premier League was over a year ago. His last goal from open play in the first half of a PL game was in April 2021.

His last assist from open play in the Premier League was over a year ago. His last goal from open play in the first half of a PL game was in April 2021.
I don't really care if a player scores a goal in the first half or second half, as long as it's decisive and either brings us back into the game or grabs the winner then its fine with me. I really don't pay attention to stats like the one you just mentioned.

This is his game every week. So either you are bang on the money and there’s never anything on, in any game, or he’s just overly passive. Surely at some point, he has to be the one that takes the game by the scruff of the neck? He is a senior player, on crazy wages, he can’t just pass on responsibility to everyone else all the time. He’s all for taking responsibility when there’s a free kick on the edge of the box, or a pen and he has the chance at glory. General play…not so much.

Bernie showed what can be done in the wide forward role and what we saw from Bernie is what we should demand from Mahrez.
His numbers last season were fantastic, so it's clearly not what we get every week. the issue is we're a side that focuses our attack heavily on the left hand side, we use the switch and his ridiculous touch to get out and open things up but we rarely focus our sustained attacks down that side so he or whoever plays on the right is always going to be less involved than the left winger.

The problem today was we moved the ball too slowly around the back and as a consequence, we couldn't get the ball to our attackers high enough up the pitch which meant we were 10 yards outside the area for most of the game. when the big switch came, mahrez had nothing on, he beat his man a few times first half played a couple of good balls across and nobody got on the end of them because we started too far out for them to have time to support him.

Normally, when we're playing well, that switched ball comes to him and he's got an inside option and a crossing option by the time he controls it, that wasn't the case today and so he was ineffective.

If we're talking more general and not specifically today, could he take his man on more? Perhaps, but I don't think that's what Pep wants, if he loses the ball after the play is switched they've got a completely wide open side to counter into as our entire midfield are on the left wing. I still firmly believe Mahrez will have the most assists for Haaland by the end of the season once that flat delivery of his gets synced up to Haalands movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.