26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point of Mahrez in this version of Pep's City?

What does he do that Bernardo, Fodne or Alvarez can't?

I realise this sounds overly critical of Mahrez himself, but I mean it more to do with trying to understand what role he's playing in the squad and what Pep wanted from him when he came on today.

I realise this sounds overly critical of Mahrez himself, but I mean it more to do with trying to understand what role he's playing in the squad and what Pep wanted from him when he came on today.
Contributed Zilch today when he came on.
Lucky for him that Gundo was Offside leading up to the terrible cross/ shot

after his best ever score tally and new contract signed, this is bound to be a mediocre season for him imo.

I won't disagree that he's started the season slowly and needs to pick it up but to say things like 'he doesn't care' or 'he doesn't work hard' is complete and utter garbage.

Mahrez is ALWAYS busting a gut to get back and help out Walker.

I won't disagree that he's started the season slowly and needs to pick it up but to say things like 'he doesn't care' or 'he doesn't work hard' is complete and utter garbage.

He's more like a midfielder than a winger this season under Pep's new system. But he still has to wake up faster because he's far away from the quality he used to have.

And neither did these two do anything useful with the more substantial time that they had. What were you expecting from Pep's masterclass of a substitution giving him 17 minutes to produce something when he was never been a great sub player anyway.

Foden is of course the City Golden Boy so he is naturally immune whatever form he is in. I'll excuse Bernardo's performance on a position he has never been competent in. Unfortunately for Mahrez, Ilkay is now captain and club favourite plus Gabby left so he is the only Boo Boy left in the squad.

After 2 seasons of high level play and becoming an integral part to our success in the PL and especially the CL, you'd think some fans could learn to be just a little grateful of his contributions. These are from the same brilliant people who believe KDB was the best player in the season we won PL and reach CL final while Gundogan and Mahrez were just accessories and competent assistants.

Mahrez has started slow for 3 years now and in the last 2 worked his way to a high level as the season went on. I think he'll improve as this season goes along as well.

Last edited:

Mahrez “ALWAYS” busting a gut to get back and help? Watch the goal against Villa. I’ve seen my 73 year old Dad run faster to get out of the rain. Walker, Rodri and Mahrez were all equally lazy and did not put anywhere near enough pressure on the ball/crosser.

I said it pre season. Mahrez is a luxury player for us. He can only play one position (lacks versatility) and offers us far less defensively and in work rate than Jesus and Sterling who we sold (also far less than Bernardo). I did not and still don’t understand why we gave him a 3 year (improved) extension. But Pep knows best as I was told at the time and he can trap a ball beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.