#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant the way Pep is using Cancelo in the same way as Phillip Lahm at Bayern. Cancelo has been immense this season and would be a favourite for the POTY in most seasons, but he has strong competition from Gundo and Reuben.

Had a very good game, but I think Pep might have of had a word with him, there was times when he was still trying to take people on upfield when we was 3-1 up and making unnecessary passes leaving the left side of defence open

Had a good game against Everton.

Interesting to see Pep play both backs - Walker and Cancelo to their strengths - Walker by-in-large stuck to a traditional RB role, largely playing wide right; Cancelo, ostensibly playing LB, took up a much more central, false-LB position throughout much of the game.

A very minor quibble - on Everton's goal, I'd have liked to see Cancelo much further out left, pressing the initial cross, and perhaps cutting it out or causing a bad pass. That said, this sequence of play developed so fast that unless instinct drove Cancelo wide, he'd have no chance at cutting off the cross. Instead, Cancelo moved inward towards goal and took up a good position between man and goal. Unfortunately, a good pass inside was available and executed and then bad luck saw the ball into the back of our net. Again a minor quibble.

At the beginning of this season I thought that Cancelo was hopeless - he's totally convinced me that I was dead wrong - Cancelo has improved enormously on defense - and the false LB/RB role sees him playing basically as a deep midfielder in which role he excells.

Last edited:
er30YvN.png

Joao Cancelo 20/21 offense & defence

He got a kick on the knee at the end of the Everton game, he seemed in a lot of pain and was hobbling badly. I hope he's recovered for Sunday, he's become a very influential player for us this season. I would like to see him positioned to combine with Bernardo more.

like Kev, I don't mind so much him giving the ball away as long as it's him trying to be creative and ambitious and unlock the defence and it's high up the pitch so we can recover and counter-press.

Developing into a very good player. Gives the ball away a bit but will master that with experience in this role.

He's an incredible player...he retains and wins the ball far more than he loses it.
I cant think of any better with his versatility and skillset,all about opinions though.

I said when he was at Juventus that he was the best right-back in the world. Last year I felt I'd been conned a little bit. Turns out he was just settling and I think I was right all along.
In other words "TOLD YOU SO" :-)

Reactions: kun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.