#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancelo's defense has improved - but it's still weak. He's a left (or sometimes right) back. His number one job is to stop crosses from coming into the box.

Not really. You could argue that's true of someone like Wan-Bissaka (even then it's debatable). It certainly doesn't apply to Cancelo, whose number one job is to create chances.

Not really. You could argue that's true of someone like Wan-Bissaka (even then it's debatable). It certainly doesn't apply to Cancelo, whose number one job is to create chances.
Fair enough - it depends on the flow of play. I should have said that his number one defensive job is to stop crosses.

And, at best, average on defense.

I like Joao (for the most part), but on defense he's a liability against any side that's good enough and managed well enough to take advantage.
Very few of those teams exist.

I don't know why people think there is some player out there that is a combination of Kompany at defending and Messi at attacking because there isn't. Full backs have changed, all the supposed "best in the world" are now attacking first and defending second. Cancelo is right up there if not the best.

He might miss a tackle or mis-time a header but hes just got 5 assists in two games ffs.

Fair enough - it depends on the flow of play. I should have said that his number one defensive job is to stop crosses.
I'm not sure that's true either. Under Pep, his number one defensive job is to retain possession.

But I agree he could be better at stopping crosses.

This guy is our best player atm imo, defending, assists and scoring, he’s been doing it all in buckets last few wks, class class player, long may it continue
His form started to dip a bit in October and he had a poor week last week with two poor performances against Palace and his second half sub appearance at West Ham.

He also gave some stupid balls away yesterday that lead to a fair chunk of United’s small number of attacks.

Other than that he’s been excellent this week and in the early part of the season. At times yesterday he looked like he could do something dangerous at will.

He just needs to iron out those stupid moments he seems to have in every game. He can be incredible for 88 minutes but be a total liability for 2 minutes. In tight games that’ll cost us.

But having a good season overall.

He's actually a pretty good defender as long as the play is in front of him. He averages by far the most tackles and interceptions per game in the team and has done for the last couple of seasons. He reads passes well and he's (usually) a fairly good one-on-one defender.

Where he is bad (and I don't use that word lightly) is when the ball goes in behind him. He seems to lose track of runners off his shoulder or balls over his head very easily. His other issue is just with concentration/decision-making, especially in areas where turning over the ball could be costly for us. Walker has had similar issues in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.