#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, at best, average on defense.

I like Joao (for the most part), but on defense he's a liability against any side that's good enough and managed well enough to take advantage.
That’s nonsense really. He makes some errors where he’s too eager to win the ball on the front front, but generally he’s very good defensively.

And actually, he has the most overall tackles in our team this season, the most tackles in the defensive third, the most tackles in the attacking third also (!), the most blocks, the most interceptions.

Fair enough - it depends on the flow of play. I should have said that his number one defensive job is to stop crosses.
Well, yes- but he doesn't actually have any more defensive responsibility at this point than someone like Gundogan or Bernardo. We instinctively want to judge him harshly on his defending because he occupies the same space that we've seen hundreds of left-backs occupy before. I think it'd be easier if we stopped calling him a full-back, as that implies he's a defender, and I just don't think he is. Wide playmaker would be a more apt term.

Of course, if we didn't have the three world-class defenders next to him plus Rodri shielding, him not being a defender would be more of an issue. That's not so much because he's some awful defender (numbers suggest he's pretty good) but because defending just isn't top of his To Do list. We have to get used to that because if Pep wasn't happy with it, he'd have put Zinchenko back in weeks ago.

fucking hell... this player has been through some tough times in his life. But that aside.... what a player!!! attacking intent is second to none. Pace, skill and a sublime shot on him. He deserves every praise... and more!

a banner of our Portuguese trio? im willing to fork out funds for it. Dont attend games (due to location), but this is the next best thing I can do. A banner for the 3 - with B Silva, Cancelo and Dias. Why not....?

Beginning to feel like City have a winning run around the corner and this lad's form is the canary in the coal mine, so to speak. He's been dramatically better than last season and it suggests that the current system is millimeters away from maximizing the impact of the players in the squad.

Weirdly enough, I think we need a week or two of no De Bruyne to really spark it off, like last season.

fucking hell... this player has been through some tough times in his life. But that aside.... what a player!!! attacking intent is second to none. Pace, skill and a sublime shot on him. He deserves every praise... and more!

a banner of our Portuguese trio? im willing to fork out funds for it. Dont attend games (due to location), but this is the next best thing I can do. A banner for the 3 - with B Silva, Cancelo and Dias. Why not....?

u say “put that aside” but he wouldn’t be the player he is today without that past

For me the best fullback in world football and I don't say that lightly, I truly believe it.
We are so lucky to have this guy.
Somebody the other week I was saying that Zinchenko is better, I completely disagreed, Cancelo is the best.

I actually think he is a pretty good defender and he is fabulous in the final third. My gripe with him is with his decision making on the ball when in our half or the middle of the field. He still tries a few too many fancy dandy stuff that just leaves me with head in hand.

But for what he brings defensively and in the final 3rd, I can live with the unnecessary showboating every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.