#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you watch Spurs' 3rd goal yesterday, he's not cuaght out because he's involved in attacking play, he's caught out because he's shit. Jumps out of the line to attempt a tackle he can never make, doesn't bother tracking back, gets let off by a slow lofted pass which lets him get back in position, but he doesn't even try to stop the cross.

He is a poor defender. He's poor 1v1 and has big lapses of concentration. He's quite good as a proactive defender in midfield, often he has free reign to go for interceptions or tackle people as they receive the ball because they're not used to having a guy coming off the win into midfield, but that's not really defending, it's more midfield play.
TBH Cancelo was the first one to make a mistake but not the last one. Gundogan and Bernado (left midfielder and left winger) both made mistakes as well.

Gündoğan cannot escape the blame as well. He clearly saw Cancelo fell down to the grass in front of him and Kulu was speeding up. It was impossible for Cancelo to catch Kulu at that point and as the left midfielder, Gundogan should keep tracking Kulu. But Gundogan stopped tracking half way...

Bernado was not better either. As the make shift left winger, Bernado should make sure tracking Spurs right wing back (Doherty if I remembered correctly). However Bernado just stood still and watched the game. Doherty speeded up past Bernado from the back and ran into the box just before the crossing. Rodri was dragged out by Doherty. Thus Laporte had to choose to cover the middle of the box (which should be Rodri's role) and that meant Dias had to left Kane to Walker. Walker is much shorter than Kane and so that is it...

Iff Gundogan continued tracking Kulu , Kulu would not be able to receive the pass so easy. If Bernado kept tracking his man or Gundogan tracked back quicker, Rodri would not need to be dragged out.

Last edited:
I wish he'd stop shooting, very rarely troubles the keeper and constantly hoofs if well over the bar...did ping in a screamer this season but that is very much the exception to the norm

I wish he'd stop shooting, very rarely troubles the keeper and constantly hoofs if well over the bar...did ping in a screamer this season but that is very much the exception to the norm
To be fair two of those shots were quite good and if not for good blocks would've been a different story, we have to take that risk. Because when teams park the bus with 7-8 players, sometimes shooting from range is a good option.

To be fair two of those shots were quite good and if not for good blocks would've been a different story, we have to take that risk. Because when teams park the bus with 7-8 players, sometimes shooting from range is a good option.
The problem is the timing of the shoot. He needs to shoot quicker and try to be more unpredictable. Otherwise the goalkeeper will have enough preparation to save it.

For example, the goal by KDB vs Chelsea, KDB's body language made Kapa thinking it would be a pass. But KDB shot.

If you look at Cancelo, everyone know he will shoot....

He is a great full full-back, one extra midfielder. But he's not so good to rely chances creation on him. Give that half-spaces to Foden...

He's pretty useless as a left back, the amount of space we afford teams on that side is madness. He may be good in an attacking sense but his defending leaves a lot to be desired. I don't mind him shooting from outside the box, in fact I'd encourage it, a few more of the team should try it.

He's pretty useless as a left back, the amount of space we afford teams on that side is madness. He may be good in an attacking sense but his defending leaves a lot to be desired. I don't mind him shooting from outside the box, in fact I'd encourage it, a few more of the team should try it.

Is he fuck useless at left back. He’s played there the majority of the season and he’s been one of our best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.