#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great attacking full back. Distinctly less able at the defensive aspect and spectacularly bad today. Constantly out of position, oblivious to the whereabouts of the opposition. Needs a rest after that
Sums him up rather well...loves getting forward for the YT showreel, not really interested in mucking in at the back too often

Poor game. Been brilliant this season. Massive overreacting going on here which is of no surprise whatsoever.
He was great last season for spells as well, but also had spells where he was a near liability...hence why Pep dropped him at the end of last season and he missed the CL Final. Has started off brilliantly this season but again, recent signs are showing a tail off in performances...last night was poor, hence the concern.
Hope last night was a one-off, like you say/infer, he is key to the way we play.

He was great last season for spells as well, but also had spells where he was a near liability...hence why Pep dropped him at the end of last season and he missed the CL Final. Has started off brilliantly this season but again, recent signs are showing a tail off in performances...last night was poor, hence the concern.
Hope last night was a one-off, like you say/infer, he is key to the way we play.
I've maintained from the start with this kid that you either accept his game is hugely risk/reward based or you don't. I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth and understand that when he has a stinker it'll stand out. I think those stinkers are few and far between these days though so not willing to jump on him for things not coming off for him yesterday.

Can’t weigh him up at all me,one week looks a world beater week after looks like a non league player
god i'm sorry but this comment just pisses me off, because this is so bullshit. he's a world beater 9 times out of 10 this season. one terrible performance and you all just completely ignore every other week. infuriating.

This is utter bollocks. He can defend very well. He's shown that against some of the best attackers in the world and all whilst playing on the wrong side. He gets caught out because he's very invovled in our attacking play. Unless you have walkers freakish pace that's unavoidable for somebody who is asked to spend more time as high up the pitch as our attackers than with our other defenders.

If you watch Spurs' 3rd goal yesterday, he's not cuaght out because he's involved in attacking play, he's caught out because he's shit. Jumps out of the line to attempt a tackle he can never make, doesn't bother tracking back, gets let off by a slow lofted pass which lets him get back in position, but he doesn't even try to stop the cross.

He is a poor defender. He's poor 1v1 and has big lapses of concentration. He's quite good as a proactive defender in midfield, often he has free reign to go for interceptions or tackle people as they receive the ball because they're not used to having a guy coming off the win into midfield, but that's not really defending, it's more midfield play.

Last edited:
god i'm sorry but this comment just pisses me off, because this is so bullshit. he's a world beater 9 times out of 10 this season. one terrible performance and you all just completely ignore every other week. infuriating.

See above,he is a poor defender,end of,and that’s his position as fullback,you are right with your thoughts though infuriating

I've maintained from the start with this kid that you either accept his game is hugely risk/reward based or you don't. I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth and understand that when he has a stinker it'll stand out. I think those stinkers are few and far between these days though so not willing to jump on him for things not coming off for him yesterday.
This ^ Those slagging him off and saying he needs resting/dripping - would you rather have wan bissaka (better defender) or cancelo (best attacking full back in the world)

If you watch Spurs' 3rd goal yesterday, he's not cuaght out because he's involved in attacking play, he's caught out because he's shit. Jumps out of the line to attempt a tackle he can never make, doesn't bother tracking back, gets let off by a slow lofted pass which lets him get back in position, but he doesn't even try to stop the cross.

He is a poor defender. He's poor 1v1 and has big lapses of concentration. He's quite good as a proactive defender in midfield, often he has free reign to go for interceptions or tackle people as they receive the ball because they're not used to having a guy coming off the win into midfield, but that's not really defending, it's more midfield play.
Much of this is true, but it's one-sided IMO. Cancelo's defending of the 3rd goal was not acceptable, similar to his risible attempt to stop Salah at Anfield. But there are other times, when he has prevailed in 1-on-1 situations or made important interventions. And not just in midfield. So I would say he is very inconsistent in his defending, in contrast to TAA or Trippier who are just plain shit.

He is consistent bad on defending. At our Home game vs Chelsea last month in the 2nd half after our goal, there was one attack driven forward by Kante and Cancelo totally forgot he was a full back and just standing there admiring Kante. Instead Grealish and Laporte defended like their life on it. If it was not due to Werner's inability, it would be a goal.

It is not dropping form or anything like that. It is purely just sometimes our left winger is able to cover Cancelo's error. And when the left winger is not able to help, he is exposed. In the 2nd half, first Sterling played as LW and then Bernado was the make shift LW. Both of them did not track back to help Cancelo much and hence he was exposed.

At our away game VS PSG, the opening goal was also due to Cancelo's inability to make defending decisions. And it affected Laporte's decision about what to do next as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.