#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great going forward. Shite defensively though

I respect your opinion but he really isn't. He does tons of very good defensive work, including making the most tackles and interceptions; inclusing two superb defensive interventions yesterday. That goal line blcok was sensational because he read the play and put himself in the right place to make it.

What is the case is that he has room to improve his success rate in all things and his instinct for going-forward and his role in the team mean that he will get caught out of position at times.

He needs to do better with his decision making and is hopefully learning all the time on that. His level of involvement in games is very high so it is natural that he will be seen to make more mistakes than some of his team mates.

I think where he needs to improve most is his short pass accuracy and crossing accuracy.

I respect your opinion but he really isn't. He does tons of very good defensive work, including making the most tackles and interceptions; inclusing two superb defensive interventions yesterday. That goal line blcok was sensational because he read the play and put himself in the right place to make it.

What is the case is that he has room to improve his success rate in all things and his instinct for going-forward and his role in the team mean that he will get caught out of position at times.

He needs to do better with his decision making and is hopefully learning all the time on that. His level of involvement in games is very high so it is natural that he will be seen to make more mistakes than some of his team mates.

I think where he needs to improve most is his short pass accuracy and crossing accuracy.

I’ve always said he’s actually a pretty good defender when the play is in front of him. He really struggles with players running in behind though, which I think is a concentration thing like messing up simple passes more than a player of his technical ability should

Reactions: OB1

I can accept that some of his positional issues are born of being under instruction to push forward, but he always seem to have a gaffe in him IMO (yesterday’s was that sloppy 2nd half header to no-one that forced Eddie to come rushing out to rescue the situation), plus he overplays things too often coming out from the back, tackles with the wrong foot (a speciality of his predecessor in the left back slot as well), plays the occasional inaccurate high risk pass, and is just generally too easy to get the better of.
Obviously he’s not ‘shite’ - that’s just me blowing off for dramatic effect - and I’m probably guilty of confirmation bias like I am with Sterling’s finishing, but I just think he has a carelessness about him defensively at times.
More than makes up for it going forward of course and you’ve got to take the rough with the smooth. Not a bad ‘problem’ to have when all’s said and done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.