#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another fantastic performance from the new scapegoat. The assist for the first was nothing but pure technique and timing. Walker, another great RB in our squat, would’ve headed it in ring 2.

But Cancelo still can’t defend right? Very weird comments on him these past few days.

Another fantastic performance from the new scapegoat. The assist for the first was nothing but pure technique and timing. Walker, another great RB in our squat, would’ve headed it in ring 2.

But Cancelo still can’t defend right? Very weird comments on him these past few days.
Do you think he's a good defender?

Did you watch the Madird games? Cancelo is a great player but made some huge mistakes and was pretty poor. its ok for people to call him out on the Cancelo Performances thread.....

That said he was fantastic against Newcastle.

Defensively he's clearly capable, just very inconsistent and prone to lapses in concentration.

An example of inconsistency: I've seen him make perfectly timed, crunching sliding tackles on people many times. But I've also seen him attempt that playground-style back foot tackle as someone races past him, something that no serious defender would ever do

I don't think he makes an unusually high number of actual defensive mistakes for a modern, attacking fullback. By defensive mistakes, I mean things like positioning, covering, marking, tackling etc. His mistakes are nearly always due to poor concentration or bad decision making

Stones used to have that problem. People would say it was "another defensive mistake" by John Stones but it was very rarely a purely defensive mistake. Usually he'd play an errant pass that got us into trouble or misjudge the flight of a ball having positioned himself correctly to deal with the danger. Regular mistakes in defence, rather than defensive mistakes

Eric Garcia, for example, made actual defensive mistakes all the time. He was never where he was supposed to be, he let runners go, he got caught the wrong side etc.

Defensively he's clearly capable, just very inconsistent and prone to lapses in concentration.

An example of inconsistency: I've seen him make perfectly timed, crunching sliding tackles on people many times. But I've also seen him attempt that playground-style back foot tackle as someone races past him, something that no serious defender would ever do

I don't think he makes an unusually high number of actual defensive mistakes for a modern, attacking fullback. By defensive mistakes, I mean things like positioning, covering, marking, tackling etc. His mistakes are nearly always due to poor concentration or bad decision making

Stones used to have that problem. People would say it was "another defensive mistake" by John Stones but it was very rarely a purely defensive mistake. Usually he'd play an errant pass that got us into trouble or misjudge the flight of a ball having positioned himself correctly to deal with the danger. Regular mistakes in defence, rather than defensive mistakes

Eric Garcia, for example, made actual defensive mistakes all the time. He was never where he was supposed to be, he let runners go, he got caught the wrong side etc.
Cancelo has that Otamendi (in his better years) trait of being sensational on the front foot defensively, but very erratic on the back foot, ranging from world class to boneheaded and back again all in 60 seconds.

But Cancelo still can’t defend right? Very weird comments on him these past
Do you think he's a good defender?

When he keeps his levels of concentration high throughout the whole game like he did yesterday there's not many better than him at the job he's meant to do. that being said he's not the best at defending, specially in 1vs1, but he's also not shite like some here say everytime he has a worse game.

I

Last edited:
Oh don't start making things up, TAA is the best right back in the world !
He's up there but he was dreadful this last game against Spurs, his crossing/passing was one of the poorest I've seen and maybe that's one of the main reasons they conceded 2 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.