#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could easily move into midfield he has all the tools to become a playmaker , but he is doing a fine job at left back and his defensive game has gone up a notch this season , rarely gets caught out , his only flaw is his tendency to shoot from distance when their are sometimes better alternatives

Few sloppy moments but first half in particular he was our most creative spark in the side, ridiculously unlucky not to score, created the opener and looks to actually make something happen rather than pass the buck. If it wasn't for the fact we're lacking fullbacks as it is, I'd have him left midfield. I think he would do a much better job than anybody but foden, create more, provide more of a goal threat and obviously offer more defensively.

I've just seen a few posts above and I can't believe there's negativity around his performance tonight. Best player on the pitch if Bernardo wasn't bossing every single game.

I don't think he's anywhere near as bad defensively as some people suggest. He's had some very good games defensively too.

He's no Walker on that front, and he's not as stable or sensible as Zinchenko, but we've won a ton of games with him in there without him costing us.

Admittedly, he definitely has his moments of concern. But I can live with them.
When was the last time he made a mistake leading to a goal?

He could easily move into midfield he has all the tools to become a playmaker , but he is doing a fine job at left back and his defensive game has gone up a notch this season , rarely gets caught out , his only flaw is his tendency to shoot from distance when their are sometimes better alternatives
Please let him shoot all he wants, the law of averages suggests a deflection or mishit etc could lead to a goal or penalty or corner. The better alternatives are Haaland, Mbappe, Vlahovic etc. but they don't play for us. We don't get any points for 20 passes in the opponents box and ending up with the ball back with Ederson. I love how we play but sometimes the shock tactic of a shot can confuse an opponent !!

Much better than Saturday, still sloppy though. Hopefully it’s the start of getting back into that early season form though.

Please let him shoot all he wants, the law of averages suggests a deflection or mishit etc could lead to a goal or penalty or corner. The better alternatives are Haaland, Mbappe, Vlahovic etc. but they don't play for us. We don't get any points for 20 passes in the opponents box and ending up with the ball back with Ederson. I love how we play but sometimes the shock tactic of a shot can confuse an opponent !!
Indeed.

We don’t shoot from distance enough. Half our players mustn’t be able to kick it that far behaved they look almost allergic to shooting from outside the box. Got to be worth a goal every few games.

It's crazy how this guy put up a brilliant performance and is slagged for it, meanwhile Grealish does absolutely nothing and people seem ok with that. The perks of being one of the boys from the "old country "
I would classify him as a high risk, high reward type of player.

Personally I don’t think he has ever been a stalwart defensively with momentary lapses of concentration even during his tenure at Juventus.

However his upside is undeniable & certainly worth the risk especially if we embed the wingers or midfielders to immediately think of covering his position when he ventures forward.

When Cancelo is on it his technique on the ball & his passes are superb.

During our rather mediocre first half tonight he & Foden seemed to be the only players brave enough to try & break Bruges stubborn defense & it’s not the first time he tries to play forward when others take the safe & slow option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.