#3 | Rúben Dias - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really like the look of him so far.

Never seems to be under pressure. He’s calm as fuck and constantly communicating. For a young man at a new club in a new country, that’s impressive.

Already a favourite!
He is a bit of a weak passer though... Not the worst, but not super either. But for all the other qualities he brings, I'll take that.

I think Stones is the best passer among the 4 CBs, Ake probably the worst simply because he isn't adventurous.
Stones distribution has always been good, but in the 2 games he has played his passing has been excellent.

In our former fearsome CB foursome (Kompany, Otamendi, Stones, Laporte) I actually had Stones as the weakest passer on a pure technical level, with Laporte at the top and Kompany not far behind. Stones however is/was by far and away the smartest passer, especially at breaking the lines which I would argue he's as good as if not better than any CB on the planet on his good days at, as well as his ability to control things from ultra deep in a sense. It can be tough to see it at City, especially compared to Laporte but at the World Cup his vertical passing was streets ahead and very apparent.

Laporte and Kompany have/had great technique but their M.O is more in their ability to play big long cross field passes and they generally needed a lot of power in their passes to break lines, especially Kompany. Otamendi stylistically was a cross between Stones and Kompany, albeit not quite as good as either at their strengths but probably better at their weaker passing traits.

Dias is apparently a good passer, but from what I know he's more of a Kompany type than anything, but with maybe more subtlety. We haven't seen much of it yet but it might be because he's new. It does take time for most Pep signings to adapt and show the best of themselves.

Aké I don't know. I assume with his academy training and playing under Eddie Howe he's better than your average CB but I've honestly not seen enough of him to tell. He's not been up to much passing wise in the games I've seen him but I might put that down to a certain timidness and similar needing to adapt like Dias rather than inability. I think we should be cautious overestimating his passing abilities until we see them, but I won't be remotely bothered if Dax is right on this one.

I think Garcia's very good too, not too dissimilar to Stones but obviously not on his level (yet?), but I don't think people tend to enjoy discussing Garcia much so I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
I think Stones is the best passer among the 4 CBs, Ake probably the worst simply because he isn't adventurous.
I think Stones as passer is hugely overrated and Laporte is by far the best passer of a ball in our back 4. There is no disputing Stones is very comfortable on the ball but it’s very rare he plays a particularly good progressive pass forwards. He’s a 20 yard obvious pass man and has disappointed me given his hype when he signed in terms of bringing the ball forwards as he hardly ever does it. He did it well against the Greek pub team the other week and that stood out because it was unusual.

Laporte on the other hand can ping a 70 yard cross field pass effortlessly and has also played plenty of brilliant balls between a full back and centre half for our left sided players to run on to.

There has been just one post about him after that game. He was absolutely excellent yet again too.

The fact that no one feels the need to talk about him on here is quite remarkable really. He's been here for barely any time at all, yet we all just accept that he's brilliant already. Literally feels like he's been here ages, and overall he's just such an incredibly reassuring presence.

Love him.

There has been just one post about him after that game. He was absolutely excellent yet again too.

The fact that no one feels the need to talk about him on here is quite remarkable really. He's been here for barely any time at all, yet we all just accept that he's brilliant already. Literally feels like he's been here ages, and overall he's just such an incredibly reassuring presence.

Love him.
He's boringly good, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.