30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

Mad Eyed Screamer

30th April 1994
The Kippax Street terrace's last stand.

Although Maine Road opened in 1923, the famous Kippax Street terrace was only given that name in 1957, when a roof was built over the terracing running along the length of the pitch to provide fans standing with some shelter from the frequent Manchester rain.
Prior to that the terrace had been known as the Popular Side.

In 1963, the Platt Lane end had wooden benches installed and in 1971 the scoreboard end was also covered and seated (and renamed the North Stand). This meant that the Kippax remained as the only standing area at Maine Road, which was unique in being along the length of the pitch and not behind the goal.

Looking on from the pitch, the top right corner of the Kippax was reserved for away fans, with those clubs bringing a lot more support also being given the open curved section between the Kippax and the Platt Lane stand.

On this day in 1994, fans stood on the terrace for the final time, in a 2-2 draw v Chelsea, before the terrace was demolished to comply with government legislation requiring football grounds to be all seated.
Maine Road was never the same again......1983-Len-Grant.jpgimages.jpeg0_kippax-flag.jpgkippax-background.jpgimages (1).jpeg

Never been the same club since.

There’s still something missing at the club despite how good we are as a club these days, and it’s a proper vocal stand that we all want to be part of and proud of.

My Uncle stopped going to games after the Kippax was torn down. He went to a few in the years after but said it wasn’t the same and just stopped going.

I’d have loved to have stood on The Kippax but was yet to go to a match due to my age. What was it like?

Never been the same club since.

There’s still something missing at the club despite how good we are as a club these days, and it’s a proper vocal stand that we all want to be part of and proud of.

My Uncle stopped going to games after the Kippax was torn down. He went to a few in the years after but said it wasn’t the same and just stopped going.
Whether it was Maine Road, the Etihad or any other all-seat ground... They sucked the life out of the game for the traditional supporter.

I've never felt any personal attachment to the Etihad in 20 years. It's a superficial concrete block.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.