30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

The toilets on the back wall of The Kippax were something else for sure!
Certainly necked a few pints of beer over the years to 'numb the pain' of what was often happening on the pitch, but tended to avoid the other 'catering' outlets.
My only memory of eating any actual 'food' was when I found a bit of plastic cutlery when eating some kind of delicious 'turd burger' at Half time during one match.
As I'd had copious amounts of booze prior to the game and we were 3:0 up against the Rags ,looking back I don't remember it bothering me that much. To be honest I soon forgot about it as we went on to batter the twats 5:1.!

I was there... i cried. And if you'dve told me that only 9 years later we'd say bye to all of Maine Road i'd never have believed you.

Cracking picture of me and my mum and sister stood on the kippax corner as leaving - my sister with a scowl, me with a resigned half smile, and mum with Brian May perm.

We always stood first barrier - where new Kippax BBL and East stand 102 is now.

First ever game I went to on my own, at 14. My dad couldn't get his shift swapped at work. Can still vividly remember butterflies walking down Dicky Rd, Claremont Rd on my own for the first time.

Memories of the game

1. Steel drum band playing City songs. Songsheets with the programme. Some words changed to pro Frannie Lee propaganda.

2. Started awfully

3. Uwe well up for it, got the whole team going

4. People managed to bring hammers and chisels into the ground and chipped away at the stand openly and without challenge.

Stood there after the game/lap of honour trying to take it all. Felt like an hour, probably only 5 mins.

A little part of City died for me that day.

Supporting City was never the same after that day….. yes I continued in north stand whilst the new kippax got built and then tried to enjoy it as much in there …..and subsequently @ the Etihad

But honestly nothing has really ever replicated standing in the Kippax …..

And probably never will

Never been the same club since.

There’s still something missing at the club despite how good we are as a club these days, and it’s a proper vocal stand that we all want to be part of and proud of.

My Uncle stopped going to games after the Kippax was torn down. He went to a few in the years after but said it wasn’t the same and just stopped going.

Never been the same club since.

There’s still something missing at the club despite how good we are as a club these days, and it’s a proper vocal stand that we all want to be part of and proud of.

My Uncle stopped going to games after the Kippax was torn down. He went to a few in the years after but said it wasn’t the same and just stopped going.
If Maine Road was rebuilt as it was in 1994 and we went back there, most people would want to go back to the Etihad after one game especially now we’ve got the safe standing and even more so when the extended North Stand is built.
Rose tinted spectacles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.