#31 | Ederson - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Steffen might have saved that goal. But that's easy to say. I'd like to see more of Steffen to judge more fairly.

I suspect that Steffen will grow on people like Zinchenko did. And yet still play second fiddle.

Anyhow I love Ederson too. :-)

This isn't aimed at you specifically but I wonder why so many are keen to knock Ederson's goalkeeping abilities?

I mean I read earlier this week posts saying Ederson may not have saved the shot Steffen saved from the weekend.

He might not be prime Neuer as far as shot-stopping is concerned but still..
What I think it is, is people still haven't fully accepted edersons role as a keeper is different for us than any other keeper in the world. It took ages for a substantial number of our fans to accept the unauthodox fullback roles we have and you still get people commenting on walker not bombing on the overlap constantly.

That's just one obvious example of many similar in the side and ederson is the same. ederson is asked to do things any other goalkeeping coach would tell you is wrong and because of that, certain parts of his traditional goalkeeping is hampered because he's doing as he's been instructed.

There was a swell of complete bullshit the other week about ederson supposedly coming off his line too early in 1v1s complete with a bloody sideshow presentation to backup the bullshit yet all of it was based on the traditional viewpoint that a keeper starts on his line or close to it. Whereas we all know pep demands ederson patrols the edge of his box.

There's also the fact the opposition tend to score from relatively few chances making it seem like ederson isn't a good shot stopper. The reality is, other keepers face a dozen shots a game, most of them are speculative and favour the save being made, ederson faces about 2 shots a game and they're generally excellent chances because the opposition have to work extremely hard and be perfect to create anything so they'll often be chances where their player is overwhelming favourite to score from that chance.

Ederson is consistently outstanding in all departments.

Joe Hart gushed about Navas tonight and rightly so he's fantastic but I wish he would have done similar about ederson

Another clean sheet, is he on course for golden glove ?
2 clear with 4 to go.

Chelsea have become rather miserly at the back, but with us, Leicester, Arsenal, and Villa to play, you can see them conceding a couple. Ederson probably only needs 1 more clean sheet.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if Steffen got another game if we make it through to the CL final and have won the league. Not to rest Ederson, I think Pep might just give it to Steffen as a treat as weird as that sounds. So getting a clean sheet against Chelsea should have it sorted.

2 clear with 4 to go.

Chelsea have become rather miserly at the back, but with us, Leicester, Arsenal, and Villa to play, you can see them conceding a couple. Ederson probably only needs 1 more clean sheet.
Thanks, and fingers crossed, but we do seem to have got into a habit of conceding recently, so it was nice for him to get a clean sheet again.

What I think it is, is people still haven't fully accepted edersons role as a keeper is different for us than any other keeper in the world. It took ages for a substantial number of our fans to accept the unauthodox fullback roles we have and you still get people commenting on walker not bombing on the overlap constantly.

That's just one obvious example of many similar in the side and ederson is the same. ederson is asked to do things any other goalkeeping coach would tell you is wrong and because of that, certain parts of his traditional goalkeeping is hampered because he's doing as he's been instructed.

There was a swell of complete bullshit the other week about ederson supposedly coming off his line too early in 1v1s complete with a bloody sideshow presentation to backup the bullshit yet all of it was based on the traditional viewpoint that a keeper starts on his line or close to it. Whereas we all know pep demands ederson patrols the edge of his box.

There's also the fact the opposition tend to score from relatively few chances making it seem like ederson isn't a good shot stopper. The reality is, other keepers face a dozen shots a game, most of them are speculative and favour the save being made, ederson faces about 2 shots a game and they're generally excellent chances because the opposition have to work extremely hard and be perfect to create anything so they'll often be chances where their player is overwhelming favourite to score from that chance.

Ederson is consistently outstanding in all departments.

Joe Hart gushed about Navas tonight and rightly so he's fantastic but I wish he would have done similar about ederson
I'd argue that numerous keepers in world football have the same role now as Ederson does - that is, an 11th player on the field.

Pep has been - for me - the dominant innovator for football tactics over the past decade.

Top sides now attempt to play out from the back - with a skilled passer as keeper.
===
Ter Stegen (especially) and Manuel Neuer are the only other keepers in world football that come close to matching Ederson's skillset. Among the three - Ederson/Ter Stegen/Neuer - Ederson is the best passer - but as gifted as Ederson is in goal - I'd say that Neuer is the best traditional keeper followed by Ter Stegen.

That said - were I to have my choice of any keeper in the world to start for our side - I'd 100% choose Ederson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.