#31 | Ederson - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are too defensive about our players sometimes. I am not saying he is awful at all. I am just saying he's not top 5 in the world and that he can get better in those 2 aspects. I am saying he has the physical abilities to be top 5.

I just feel sometimes due to his football abilities, none cares that he can and should get better at some technical aspects. I am still super glad he is our goalkeeper, and only Neuer and Ter Stegen would be better GK for us.

People are too defensive about our players sometimes. I am not saying he is awful at all. I am just saying he's not top 5 in the world and that he can get better in those 2 aspects. I am saying he has the physical abilities to be top 5.

I just feel sometimes due to his football abilities, none cares that he can and should get better at some technical aspects. I am still super glad he is our goalkeeper, and only Neuer and Ter Stegen would be better GK for us.
Neither Neuer or Ter Stegen come close to Eddie’s distribution, thus doesn’t improve us but weaken the team....

have you not watched the quarter finals. Neuer is the reason Bayern are out. Let a right soft one straight through him in the first leg. Navas was the reason PSG were holding on. Proper soft keeping for Bayern’s goal Tuesday. Ter Stegen is well known for having difficulty with shots from distance.
Of course, every goalkeeper has mistakes, but Navas has had several matches where he makes 10+ saves, specially in big matches(Bayern, Barca, Bayern 4 years ago...) and Neuer is by far IMO the best GK of the last 20 years. His 2nd leg vs PSG, 2014 WC vs Algeria, Madrid in Munich 4 years ago...

Comparing Ederson to them is a compliment, because I think he can get to that level

Neither Neuer or Ter Stegen come close to Eddie’s distribution, thus doesn’t improve us but weaken the team....

This isn't entirely true.

What sets Eddie apart is his accuracy at long range. No one can hit a pass over 30 yards or so like him, goalkeeper or outfield. The pace, and the flatness of the trajectory separates him from every other keeper in world football.

ter Stegen is better at short range passing though because he's genuinely 2 footed which gives him an advantage when under serious pressure. Neuer's throwing is absolutely incredible, he can get it to the half way line, flat and with loads of power - I wish Eddie could match it because there's nothing better for starting a counter.

At the end of the day only one thing matters and that's Ederson's one of the best in the world and we wouldn't be better with anyone else in goal.

His command of his box is second to none in the Premier League, he ranks incredibly highly at preventing shots, which is the big new stat in goalkeeping analytics and from short range his shotstopping is perfect.

He's not perfect and I think there's parts of his game he could definitely work on to make himself better but he's only 27, not old for a keeper, and I doubt we'll be looking for change at the position for the best part of 10 years.

This isn't entirely true.

What sets Eddie apart is his accuracy at long range. No one can hit a pass over 30 yards or so like him, goalkeeper or outfield. The pace, and the flatness of the trajectory separates him from every other keeper in world football.

ter Stegen is better at short range passing though because he's genuinely 2 footed which gives him an advantage when under serious pressure. Neuer's throwing is absolutely incredible, he can get it to the half way line, flat and with loads of power - I wish Eddie could match it because there's nothing better for starting a counter.

At the end of the day only one thing matters and that's Ederson's one of the best in the world and we wouldn't be better with anyone else in goal.

His command of his box is second to none in the Premier League, he ranks incredibly highly at preventing shots, which is the big new stat in goalkeeping analytics and from short range his shotstopping is perfect.

He's not perfect and I think there's parts of his game he could definitely work on to make himself better but he's only 27, not old for a keeper, and I doubt we'll be looking for change at the position for the best part of 10 years.

I’ve noticed that seems to be the area of the game Ederson is working on. Not the long ranging over the halfway stuff like Neuer. But fast and flat right through the middle.

It seemed like he was diving on sand last night at times. When Hummels hit that header also, his dive seemed to be about a foot above the floor.

You are saying "he's not top 5 in the world" a reasonable opinion if supported by fair comparisons. I assume you have seen all of the 40 + full games he has played in this season. Have you seen 40 + full games where your suggested top 5 have played this season. If so, who are the current top 5 and what specifically, over 40 games, puts them ahead of Ederson this season.

You are saying "he's not top 5 in the world" a reasonable opinion if supported by fair comparisons. I assume you have seen all of the 40 + full games he has played in this season. Have you seen 40 + full games where your suggested top 5 have played this season. If so, who are the current top 5 and what specifically, over 40 games, puts them ahead of Ederson this season.
I've only watched 40+ games from City, but I've watched at least 80-100+ games for Ter Stegen, Neuer and Navas in their careers.

With Navas, I think I've never seen a stronger champion mentality. His aura for big matches is unbelievable. Whenever I've watched a big match from him, you just know he'll be one of the best players on the pitch, and sustaining such a high level on Madrid when Florentino hated him for his low marketing speaks for itself.

Neuer is the best GK I've seen in my 25+ years watching football and it's not even close. He's only inferior to Ederson in long passes, in everything else he is his equal or superior (which is normal because he is the best).

For me, those are the top 2. The best(Neuer) and the one I would choose for a knockout game(Navas).

In general, I think Courtois, Navas, Neuer, Ter Stegen and Oblak are superior in goalkeeping abilities( 1vs1, leadership, colocation, reflexes, aerial game, mentality...).

I am not criticizing Ederson, he is still an incredible GK and I think only Neuer and maybe Ter Stegen would be better for City.

Only KDB and maybe Ruben Dias and Foden(if they keep their level for some years) are top 3-5 in their positions, and it's not an insult to all the other players. It's just that being top 5 in any position is supersuper hard.

I've only watched 40+ games from City, but I've watched at least 80-100+ games for Ter Stegen, Neuer and Navas in their careers.

With Navas, I think I've never seen a stronger champion mentality. His aura for big matches is unbelievable. Whenever I've watched a big match from him, you just know he'll be one of the best players on the pitch, and sustaining such a high level on Madrid when Florentino hated him for his low marketing speaks for itself.

Neuer is the best GK I've seen in my 25+ years watching football and it's not even close. He's only inferior to Ederson in long passes, in everything else he is his equal or superior (which is normal because he is the best).

For me, those are the top 2. The best(Neuer) and the one I would choose for a knockout game(Navas).

In general, I think Courtois, Navas, Neuer, Ter Stegen and Oblak are superior in goalkeeping abilities( 1vs1, leadership, colocation, reflexes, aerial game, mentality...).

I am not criticizing Ederson, he is still an incredible GK and I think only Neuer and maybe Ter Stegen would be better for City.

Only KDB and maybe Ruben Dias and Foden(if they keep their level for some years) are top 3-5 in their positions, and it's not an insult to all the other players. It's just that being top 5 in any position is supersuper hard.
Thank you for your clear response. I didn't consider your initial post as being a criticism of Ederson but many posters here make sweeping statements about a player or team but never adequately explain how they have reached the conclusions they post. Hopefully by the time Ederson reaches the twilight of his career we can look back and confidently say he has been a top 5 player for at least some portion of his City career.

Zero recognition for the out of this world 50 yard pass that created the space for the equaliser. I suppose it's a testament to how good he is that we don't even gush over that kind of pass anymore because he does it so frequently but it deserves praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.