31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because other GK makes a mistake, we cannot criticize Ederson then?

Again, I am really happy of having Ederson and he's a top 3 GK for City, but he can be so much more than that. Let's compare De Gea and Ederson for example(I strongly prefer Ederson for us). There were 2 saves yesterday to Gabriel Jesus and KDB from De Gea that were incredible. Quick reflexes, explosive and quick feet. De Gea makes 1 of those every 2-3 matches. At the same time De Gea makes a horrible blunder every 2-3 matches. For a team like us, we need security in our GK and Ederson might be the least prone to blunder GK in the world. He is great and a perfect match for us.

BUT you will never see Ederson making impossible/really difficult saves consistently like other GK are capable. Whenever the opposition scores, I have never felt Ederson made a huge mistake, but several times I think he could've done better and that several other GK would save 30-40% of those while Ederson saves 0% of those. Again, I am really happy of having a great sweeper, a very secure GK, and his excellent passing ability, but he can be so much better.

He can be Neuer, and it's so obvious what his weaknesses are, that I am just amazed he hasn't improved them at all. His weaknesses are: 1v1, slow reflexes, and he is very slow and non-explosive whenever he stretches. The 1v1 are inexcusable: the way he stretches, the way he attacks can be easily improved with constant practice. Just check how Neuer or even Cortouis take on 1v1, and then compare to Ederson.

Slow reflexes and explosiveness/power in his legs/stretches can also be improved with proper training, especially when you have a slow/heavy GK like Ederson. There is room for improvement there. And that's what annoys me. He can truly be better, and turn into, not only a top 3 GK for us, but the best GK for any team.
1638177997348.png

I actually agree that I don't think we're seeing Ederson's full potential. He's very good, but he's not in the conversation for best keeper in the world anywhere outside a few City fans and I think he could be if he improved a few areas.

I'm not sure I rate Xabi Mancisidor, our GK coach. He oversaw Hart's decline, he didn't arrest Bravo's freefall, and outside penalty shootouts never managed to get Caballero to fit the style of play. Steffen's ball playing is still a very noticeable drop off compared to Ederson whenever he plays, and you'd think 2 years of training would make him look comfortable.

David Preece (a GK coach) has said that Hart's decline came about because whereas Mancini's GK coach, Massimo Battara, always made him work on his weaknesses every day, Mancisidor came in and let Hart decide what he wanted to do, and Hart chose what he was good at.

The result of that after a few years was Hart's weaknesses got more and more exaggerated.

I wonder if something similar is not happening with Ederson. His record on 1v1's and penalties continues to get worse and worse, which makes me think they're not trying to fix them, and might well be just focusing on what he's already the best in the world at.

Ederson is by all reports a very chilled, laid back character, and I wonder if he's the sort to self-police

He was a much better shot stopper at Benfica, so I know he can do it and I actually think he looks better when he goes to Brazil and works under Taffarel for a bit, although that might just be going head to head with Alisson in training every day.

I reckon when Pep eventually leaves, we will see him improve those other areas of his game markedly and he'll be the best all round keeper in the world, because he's already the best with his feet and the most dominant aerially in his box.

Last edited:
I actually agree that I don't think we're seeing Ederson's full potential. He's very good, but he's not in the conversation for best keeper in the world anywhere outside a few City fans and I think he could be if he improved a few areas.

Not sure I rate Xabi Mancisidor, our GK coach. He oversaw Hart's decline, he didn't arrest Bravo's freefall, and outside penalty shootouts never managed to get Caballero to fit the style of play. Steffen's ball playing is still a very noticeable drop off compared to Ederson whenever he plays, and you'd think 2 years of training would make him look comfortable.

David Preece has said that Hart's decline came about because whereas Mancini's GK coach, Massimo Battara, always made him work on his weaknesses every day, Mancisidor came in and let Hart decide what he wanted to do, and Hart chose what he was good at.

The result of that after a few years was Hart's weaknesses got more and more exaggerated.

I wonder if something similar is not happening with Ederson. His record on 1v1's and penalties continues to get worse and worse, which makes me think they're not trying to fix them, and might well be just focusing on what he's already the best in the world at.

Ederson was a much better shot stopper at Benfica, so I know he can do it.

I reckon when Pep eventually leaves, we will see him improve those other areas of his game markedly and he'll be the best allround keeper in the world, because he's already the best with his feet and the most dominant aerially in his box.
All about opinions, I think he is simply outstanding, I love the guy.

His distribution is the best in the world and he is in general a more than useful keeper.

I would pay just to watch this guy train, he is the ultimate "character" a larger than life figure and wonderful personality.

Another guy that has come to us from the other side of the world, yet totally gets us and our club.

All about opinions, I think he is simply outstanding, I love the guy.

His distribution is the best in the world and he is in general a more than useful keeper.

I would pay just to watch this guy train, he is the ultimate "character" a larger than life figure and wonderful personality.

Another guy that has come to us from the other side of the world, yet totally gets us and our club.

I don't think anyone said he's not a great character or they don't love him.

He's very good, the question is can he be the best in the world. At the moment he's not because some parts of his game are lagging behind the areas where he is the best.

I don't think anyone said he's not a great character or they don't love him.

He's very good, the question is can he be the best in the world. At the moment he's not because some parts of his game are lagging behind the areas where he is the best.
Again, I disagree on his abilities.

Who is better, that would get in our team in from of him?

The Donut thief? Alison?

Again, I disagree on his abilities.

Who is better, that would get in our team in from of him?

The Donut thief? Alison?
Again you're arguing against a point no one has made.

No one has said anything about a keeping getting in our team in front of him.

It's about whether he can be better, whether he's reaching his potential, and while he's still very poor at penalties and 1v1's he's not.

I was taken by the difference in Ederson and Fabianski’s distribution yesterday
Despite the atrocious weather Brazilian Eddy never missed a beat and set City off with a rolling start every time whereas the other keeper who hails from a cold climate frequently gave the ball straight back to City. Maybe the ball seemed like a block of stone to him but he will certainly have encountered those conditions more than Ederson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.