31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will have to dub him 'Edersin' if he makes any more blunders mate; )

Joking apart, Eddie's shop stopping has improved each season, but is still probably his weakest attribute. And sometimes he makes a glaringly obvious error in his shot stopping and judgement, but all top keepers do.

But he more than makes up for those errors, especially in big games i think.

Yea,like I say,swap him,no way

Not sure anyone wants to admit this, but Ederson is a bang average keeper at shot stopping. Can’t replace the distribution… but man we could do better when it comes to more traditional keeper responsibilities.
He really really isn’t bang average at shot stopping.

Pay close attention to the goals other top ’keepers let in and they let in goals they should save and sometimes howlers fairly regularly. Even ’keepers renowned for their shot stopping let in goals they should save regularly.

A goalkeeper letting a goal in that he could and should save, happens as regularly as good goalscorers missing chances they should score. Some of the world’s stop finishers miss fucking piss easy chances but nobody says “Lewandowski is an average finisher” because he scuffs an open net chance wide or balloons a shot under no pressure 20 feet over the bar.

When David Silva completed 87% of his passes, nobody used to say “he’s an average passer of the ball” because he gives it away 13% of the time.

Ederson is a good shot stopper, and he’s actually improved on that area.

He’s also the best of the lot at coming to collect crosses, as well as being the best there’s ever been at distribution.

All-round Ederson is as good at his job as any player we’ve had in this era.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this article he's one of the best keepers in the Premier League: https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/epl-goalie-rankings-2020

Not sure exactly how they work things out though, because they talk a lot about the saves a keeper is expected to make, and in the tables (https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats), he seems to be around the middle for those stats.

I assume they've combined them with other sources, or he's a good all rounder - apart from the obvious that his pass completion is the best, he seems to be in the top third of just about every aspect (e.g. De Gea is good at stopping shots, but awful at collecting crosses).

I guess it boils down to what a keeper is. We focus on the shot stopping v. the way he plays the ball out from the back when we're pressed - but he's also very proactive; strong at collecting crosses, acting as a sweeper, and distributing accurately over long distances.

According to this article he's one of the best keepers in the Premier League: https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/epl-goalie-rankings-2020

Not sure exactly how they work things out though, because they talk a lot about the saves a keeper is expected to make, and in the tables (https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats), he seems to be around the middle for those stats.

I assume they've combined them with other sources, or he's a good all rounder - apart from the obvious that his pass completion is the best, he seems to be in the top third of just about every aspect (e.g. De Gea is good at stopping shots, but awful at collecting crosses).

I guess it boils down to what a keeper is. We focus on the shot stopping v. the way he plays the ball out from the back when we're pressed - but he's also very proactive; strong at collecting crosses, acting as a sweeper, and distributing accurately over long distances.
His pass completion is amazing given he plays 50 yrd passes frequently.

I am not sure this has been pointed out, but I reckon the sun had a hand in making that shot more difficult to save for Eddie than it looked, as the ball was struck in the shadow before crossing in to the (very) bright bit half way on it’s way to goal.

Also, let’s give credit where it is due, the strike was very good given the position of the attacker.

I am sure the keepers among us could testify to how tricky those can be to save.

The other part of his game is why we have won trophies and leagues no blame for that goal today.
Totally fair. I’m not even suggesting getting rid, just an observation I’ve always had of his game. I’m totally fine giving up a dodgy goal every now and then for the build up his balls ignite.

Its very simple where Eddie is concerned,yes he has weaknesses...but the positives far outweigh the negatives,and,as far as our football is concerned,no other keeper on the planet fits our style and tactics better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.