31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ortega isn't any better to honest either. The Southampton performance has put me off giving him the starting spot. As far as Ederson improving on "basics" that is down to the two Goalkeeping coaches as well and they aren't doing a bad job. And if he was really bad with the basic part of goalkeeping he wouldn't be a professional never mind playing for City.
I didn't say he was really bad. That seems to be your own interpretation of the criticism on this thread. Some has been very harsh, some has been spot on imo.

I have long said that he's not a particularly good goalkeeper. By that, I mean that (again, in my opinion) there are plenty of better shot-stopping goalkeepers in the game, that I would feel much more confident about at City than Ederson.

It's all about opinions of course, but Ederson won't have a problem at City as long as Guardiola is in charge as his is the only opinion that actually matters.

I didn't say he was really bad. That seems to be your own interpretation of the criticism on this thread. Some has been very harsh, some has been spot on imo.

I have long said that he's not a particularly good goalkeeper. By that, I mean that (again, in my opinion) there are plenty of better shot-stopping goalkeepers in the game, that I would feel much more confident about at City than Ederson.

It's all about opinions of course, but Ederson won't have a problem at City as long as Guardiola is in charge as his is the only opinion that actually matters.
If there are inherent issues with his shot stopping then he wouldn't of survived very long at his last club and at City either. Guardiola did replace Bravo after one season (or infact he didn't survive that as first choice).

Last edited:
Not saying he’s fautless, don’t think anybody is but the fact he’s being blamed for yesterday and also the Everton at home 1-1.

Rodri gave it straight to Gray he went past three shit tackles, fell over and curled it in to the top corner Eddies fault.

Fucking Brennan Johnson just ghosted past three tackles yesterday put it in the area of our two CB’s who were nowhere to be seen for a 6 yard tap in guess what Eddies fault.

Villa great save from Coutinho 2 points gained, didn’t hear anybody mention it on here.

It’s borderline embarrassing from some fans, the reaching to blame him for everthing.

I said initially he isn’t perfect but there’s plenty of outfield players in much, much worse form causing a lot more issues to our overall play than Ederson!

Leave the fucker alone and get behind him

People here defend a mediocre shot-stopper so much. And their only argument are two: he receives shots that are too difficult and we need him for distribution.

Our style was exactly the same with Ortega and we faced Chelsea and Arsenal, 2 elite teams. Also please anyone show me an Ederson performance that is better than Ortega's against Chelsea. 2 things we can do: eye test and stats.

Eye test: you go to any GK highlights and Ederson is by far the most mediocre. Even average keepers have much better highlights than Ederson. Really, the people that defend him so much should go and check the highlights of Cortouis, Ter Stegen or Neuer to see what a truly elite GK is capable.

Objective stats: you cannot compare save% between Ederson and Palace GK. But you can do it between Ederson and teams that play similar to us(leaves the GK exposed to more difficult shots and 1v1). I am gonna take Barcelona this year and with Luis Enrique, Napoli this year, Arsenal this year, Bayern this year with Flick and with Pep, Real Madrid with Ancelotti (this is not as similar as us, but very few teams play like us) and Liverpool 18-22(different to us but very offensive team too) and PSG (they are so superior in Ligue 1 that I imagine they dominate every match and play very offensively), Ajax with Ten Hag AND Pep's Barca. I will use fbref.

Barca Ter Stegen: average 79% with Luis Enrique. This year 89%

Napoli Meret: 76.3%

Arsenal Rammsdale: 71.6%

Bayern Neuer: average 81% with Pep. 74.5 with Flick and 79.5 this season.

Madrid Curtouis: average 80% last 3 years.

Alisson: average 75% over those 4 years. Even this year where his team sucks, he is still with 72%

PSG Donnaruma: average 75% over 2 seasons there

Ajax Onana: average 76% over the 3 seasons with Ten Hag.

Barca Victor Valdes: 76.35% over 4 seasons with Pep

Ederson: this season he is at 62%, last at 69% and he only has one season over 75%.

I wonder what's gomma be the excuse now? Please bribg arguments other than: He faces shots that no one would stop due to the way we play, when I just showed you stats from Valdes and Neuer when Pep was there.

Last edited:
And if you include xG instead of save percentage is even more embarrasing for Ederson. According to that data Ederson is in the bottom 20% of the 5 big leagues in Europe, while Neuer Alisson Curtouis and Ter Stegen are all in the top 10%. Onana in top 20 and Donarumma in top 30%. From any point of view, and comparing Ederson to any team that play a little similar to us, shows he is by far the worst of the bunch.

And if you include xG instead of save percentage is even more embarrasing for Ederson. According to that data Ederson is in the bottom 20% of the 5 big leagues in Europe, while Neuer Alisson Curtouis and Ter Stegen are all in the top 10%. Onana in top 20 and Donarumma in top 30%. From any point of view, and comparing Ederson to any team that play a little similar to us, shows he is by far the worst of the bunch.

You have researched it well and it does seem a fair stat.

I like Ederson and think he has been instrumental in our success, I do agree this stat is damming.

We are however seem to be cursed by wondergoals.

I think no keeper saves Gray’s and xG might be around 0.1, so the stat has it’s limitations.

However, I don’t watch too much of the foreign leagues, however De Gea and Allison do seem to pull of saves Ederson would not.

Cannot save if his life depends on it. When life is going well and we're winning, coasting through games it's fine, but when times are tough and we need crucial, crucial saves in UCL matches and PL games he falls short unfortunately. He's exceptional in distribution and playing out from the back but when the time comes to actually saving...

Imagine if we had a well-rounded keeper like Alisson who himself is decent playing out from the back but is also so reliable in goal.
More errors leading to goals than any other keeper. Crap on the ball

More errors leading to goals than any other keeper. Crap on the ball

I don't understand how anyone thinks Alison is good on the ball. He's got a fairly accurate drop kick but he looks like he's on the verge of shitting himself anytime someone presses him at pace.

I'm sure the stats look decent enough but I would be far less comfortable playing out from the back with him in net.

Marginally more comfortable when an attacker is running through one on one, sure, but in terms of distribution Alisson is nowhere near that top bracket of players Ederson belongs to.

My view: Ederson is good as a traditional keeper, around average for the Premier league, which is a good standard. There are better - De Gea in his present form for example. Ederson is not to blame for the Forrest goal - it is a well worked goal from Forrest coupled with a bit of timid defending. Ederson is well enough positioned when the cross is made and nearly gets a hand to the ball as it is crossed. I suspect that if he faced that cross 10 times he might have got to it once or twice and I'd guess that De Gea would get to it 3 or 4 times out of 10 - that's the sort of difference that I see between them at the moment. Until recently this difference has been compensated for by Ederson's kicking giving us more attacking possibilities. However, Arsenal game excepted, recently he has mostly been passing out with short passes to members of the back four and when he has kicked long he hasn't had his previous accuracy. So the balance between his strengths and weaknesses has shifted slightly.
... and he is particularly poor with penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.