31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people really get defensive on Ederson. I think it's pretty fair to say that he has had his worst season by far. Distribution declined a little bit, while on average GK distribution is much better nowadays, and the breach between Ederson and other elite GK is closer than ever.

I have zero doubts Ederson is by far the worst GK Pep has had. Valdes was immense on 1v1 (check the Arsenal UCL final) and Neuer is another level. For Pep, distribution is too important, but people here talk like Ederson is the most important player. Ortega has played against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and our build up was just as good.

People also need to understand GK is a very different position. For Pep, once a GK is a starter, it will be a starter for the entire season as long as his distribution is good. And of course, Pep will not criticize Ederson, because it's a position where confidence is the most important thing.

But four things are true:

1. Ederson's season is the worst for him in all the stats. He is the worst GK in PL stats this season.
2. As a sweeper he is not as good as he used to, and his decision making is not as good as used to be (Tottenham, Arsenal PK, Leipzig...).
3. Ederson has never saved us. He doesn't lose us matches (almost never), but he never will win us matches either.
4. The best two matches of a GK this season for us had Ortega as GK.
Lol

I think people really get defensive on Ederson. I think it's pretty fair to say that he has had his worst season by far. Distribution declined a little bit, while on average GK distribution is much better nowadays, and the breach between Ederson and other elite GK is closer than ever.

I have zero doubts Ederson is by far the worst GK Pep has had. Valdes was immense on 1v1 (check the Arsenal UCL final) and Neuer is another level. For Pep, distribution is too important, but people here talk like Ederson is the most important player. Ortega has played against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and our build up was just as good.

People also need to understand GK is a very different position. For Pep, once a GK is a starter, it will be a starter for the entire season as long as his distribution is good. And of course, Pep will not criticize Ederson, because it's a position where confidence is the most important thing.

But four things are true:

1. Ederson's season is the worst for him in all the stats. He is the worst GK in PL stats this season.
2. As a sweeper he is not as good as he used to, and his decision making is not as good as used to be (Tottenham, Arsenal PK, Leipzig...).
3. Ederson has never saved us. He doesn't lose us matches (almost never), but he never will win us matches either.
4. The best two matches of a GK this season for us had Ortega as GK.
On point 3, some fans have short memories. Obviously forgotten the brilliant save to thwart Tielemans at the King Power stadium.

On point 3, some fans have short memories. Obviously forgotten the brilliant save to thwart Tielemans at the King Power stadium.
I just watched the highlights. Do you mean the shot that was going straight to where Ederson was standing? Sure it was hsrd and a good save, but I would never call that save brilliant. Ederson was right there, and he was even a little bit slow to react (in fairness to him it's a corner so there were a lot of players in front).

With respect to point 3 is like saying: Sterling's accuracy is poor, and you showing me a moment where he was world class. Of course you and anyone will find a good save from Ederson. Just like I or anyoke can find bad mistakes from him. Both of those are really rare though, which is my point.

I just watched the highlights. Do you mean the shot that was going straight to where Ederson was standing? Sure it was hsrd and a good save, but I would never call that save brilliant. Ederson was right there, and he was even a little bit slow to react (in fairness to him it's a corner so there were a lot of players in front).

With respect to point 3 is like saying: Sterling's accuracy is poor, and you showing me a moment where he was world class. Of course you and anyone will find a good save from Ederson. Just like I or anyoke can find bad mistakes from him. Both of those are really rare though, which is my point.
I get that you don't rate Ederson, but that was a very good/brilliant save. He has his faults but to say Ederson never saves us is just not true.

We can all pick and choose from videos.

It's worth remembering that Nery Castillo and Jo were brilliant on videos.

I fully expect that the number of Ederson errors well outnumber those of good saves. Of course, that almost certainly applies to most goalkeepers.

It's the silly, basic, and invariably avoidable errors that stand out with Ederson. He's not a great goalkeeper just because he makes a few good saves in a couple of games.

If we were playing the 2nd leg against Bayern and it was all square heading to the end of extra time and getting ready for penalties. Would you take off Ederson and put on Ortega?
I have zero confidence in Ederson when he faces penalties. He lacks the speed and agility to react or stretch into the areas shots need to be saved. I absolutely would fancy Ortega to make a few saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.