31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peps sytem make players better, when he leaves we will keep the system ,more or less, and keep the players that are best suited to playing that way. All of of them.
How can you keep a system without the creator of the system, I think your underestimating how good a coach Pep is, there's no coach like him atm, even his proteges Arteta, Xavi, ETH, Tuchel are not close.

Are you using that as a criticism of our players?

The manager’s job is to make the team the best it can be!

If Pep didn’t think Ederson was the best keeper, he’d have been sold, just like Hart was.

Pep loves Ederson though. He probably thinks he’s better than Neuer because of his unique passing ability, reading of the game and keeping abilities.

I'm not sure Pep thinks Ederson is better all round than Neuer but no one should doubt that if Pep was not happy with Ederson's shot stopping ability, he would have been replaced.

Eddie doesn't make loads of miracle saves but he concedes very few goals from shots that he should have saved.

Palace was a good example of a game where Eddie's saves to shots ratio is crap but he faced two actual shots, and saved the one that he should have. The o.g. and header were not instances of him being at fault.

Where he was at fault was losing the ball just before we conceded the free kick that the o.g. came from but his team mates had two opportuities after that to avoid what happened.

He won the Premier League Golden Gloves for the past three seasons hasn't he!? And, depsite the last couple of games, he might well make it four times this season. Goals conceded so far is disproportinate to the number of shots faced (and that's not Eddie's fault) but if we maintain the current average shots against (we won't), we'll almost certainly concede the fewest goals over the season. That will be down to the team not just the keeper but it is a team game and Ederson is a key part of the team and its success.

Maybe this season, he will make a couple of worldies in a key UCL game and we will finally win the thing; mayeb he won't need to and we will still win it. Even if we win both the League and UCL this season, there will still be muppets complaining about Eddie and Pep and all sorts of things on this Forum.

How can you keep a system without the creator of the system, I think your underestimating how good a coach Pep is, there's no coach like him atm, even his proteges Arteta, Xavi, ETH, Tuchel are not close.
Thats not the point, obviously Pep is the best, but there are many coaches that play a similar possession based football Pep wasn’t even the first as he’ll be the first to tell you.
What is for sure when we eventually replace him it will be another coach playing a similar style,the system will evolve but it won’t change, we will still play out from the keeper,so why would you possibly want to get rid of players that have been coached in that style by the best exponent of it then bring in players that haven’t.That makes no sense at all.

Barcelona have maintained a similar one long after Johan Cryuff stopped managing them.

Last edited:
Barcelona have maintained a similar one long after Johan Cryuff stopped managing them.
Agreed, I'm not saying City will change the playing style, but I think after Pep leaves the next manager will buy bigger name/star players to make up for the tactical drop off without Pep.

I'm not sure Pep thinks Ederson is better all round than Neuer but no one should doubt that if Pep was not happy with Ederson's shot stopping ability, he would have been replaced.

Eddie doesn't make loads of miracle saves but he concedes very few goals from shots that he should have saved.

Palace was a good example of a game where Eddie's saves to shots ratio is crap but he faced two actual shots, and saved the one that he should have. The o.g. and header were not instances of him being at fault.

Where he was at fault was losing the ball just before we conceded the free kick that the o.g. came from but his team mates had two opportuities after that to avoid what happened.

He won the Premier League Golden Gloves for the past three seasons hasn't he!? And, depsite the last couple of games, he might well make it four times this season. Goals conceded so far is disproportinate to the number of shots faced (and that's not Eddie's fault) but if we maintain the current average shots against (we won't), we'll almost certainly concede the fewest goals over the season. That will be down to the team not just the keeper but it is a team game and Ederson is a key part of the team and its success.

Maybe this season, he will make a couple of worldies in a key UCL game and we will finally win the thing; mayeb he won't need to and we will still win it. Even if we win both the League and UCL this season, there will still be muppets complaining about Eddie and Pep and all sorts of things on this Forum.
Very good post.

I don't know why you bother arguing with them though, it's pointless, they're always right anyway.

I have always thought Ederson was average (at least as an elite GK) in shotstopping, but still the best (obviously behind Neuer but he was untouchable) possible GK for our side. But football evolves. And Ederson has barely improved(I actually think he hasn't improved at all since he came to City).

GK's average passing ability now is 10 times better than 2017, and now I am not so sure if the superiority of Ederson's ability with the ball are enough to his shortcomings as a shot-stopper. In 2017 he was 3 times better than average GK with his feet so him not being great saving goals was not a big deal. He still is the best with his feet, but the distances between an average GK and Ederson are getting smaller and smaller. Cortouis for example is an average elite GK with his feet, and I think he would be fine doing 85-90% of Ederson's passes, and his shot-stopping abilities are far superior. We just saw Ortega in Camp Nou against a high-pressing team, and he was able to pass the ball almost as effortless as Ederson, and that shows you how much GK have evolved in the last 5 years. Sure no one will ever have the power that Ederson has in his feet, but how many times in a season does he need to use that? Once, twice?

People try to go to extremes and imply that all other GK are like De Gea with his feet, when every other young GK is pretty good with the ball. I think other positions have a bigger priority than replacing Ederson, but I am pretty certain that soon we can get a much better shot-stopper that still adapts really well to Pep's idea.

I have always thought Ederson was average (at least as an elite GK) in shotstopping, but still the best (obviously behind Neuer but he was untouchable) possible GK for our side. But football evolves. And Ederson has barely improved(I actually think he hasn't improved at all since he came to City).

GK's average passing ability now is 10 times better than 2017, and now I am not so sure if the superiority of Ederson's ability with the ball are enough to his shortcomings as a shot-stopper. In 2017 he was 3 times better than average GK with his feet so him not being great saving goals was not a big deal. He still is the best with his feet, but the distances between an average GK and Ederson are getting smaller and smaller. Cortouis for example is an average elite GK with his feet, and I think he would be fine doing 85-90% of Ederson's passes, and his shot-stopping abilities are far superior. We just saw Ortega in Camp Nou against a high-pressing team, and he was able to pass the ball almost as effortless as Ederson, and that shows you how much GK have evolved in the last 5 years. Sure no one will ever have the power that Ederson has in his feet, but how many times in a season does he need to use that? Once, twice?

People try to go to extremes and imply that all other GK are like De Gea with his feet, when every other young GK is pretty good with the ball. I think other positions have a bigger priority than replacing Ederson, but I am pretty certain that soon we can get a much better shot-stopper that still adapts really well to Pep's idea.
I’m just happy Pep sees it like most of us tbh.

so now he's not all that with his feet either? I get that you can become so used to watching something so brilliant it becomes almost ordinary at times but fuck me this is a new level of bollocks even for the thread with the most bollocks on the entire forum.

Edersons passing is unrivaled, there's nobody even remotely close, any other keeper does something just once that ederson does multiple times a game with his feet, it gets shown on a loop for weeks and they're calling it "ederson-like" comparing any other keepers ability with their feet to Ederson is like comparing Usain Bolt to anybody else, he's so far ahead of the pack there's no comparison.

He's also the best sweeper keeper around, and he single handedly stops teams from pressing us high up the pitch, a tactic we struggled against quite badly before Ederson signed.

Embarrassing comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.