31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did well after the goal, seemed very decisive.

The issue are kind of 'long one on ones', where he just sort of ends up in no man's land and makes it easier for the forward. Once Watkins was through I think most expected him to score, which shows that while Ederson has clear strengths, there are areas for him to work on still.
Like every player/keeper.

I don’t think he had an actively poor game. He just doesn’t make any out of the ordinary saves. Anything that is anything other than straight forward, and there is a high chance it beats him.
He’s just not a very good shot stopper. And today showed it once again.
The other team can score goals shocker ! He made several saves in the game but because he didnt do it in the shape of an olympic diver you are a fronted , grow up

His positioning for Watkins' goal was horrific. He's an aggressive front-foot keeper who reads the game well and comes and wins the ball, but he is always of that mindset. He commanded the box well, saved Coutinho's effort well, but yet again was nowhere near making the save from Watkins despite it being a piss-poor effort. He should be reading that situation much better. Akanji was there as cover to either force Watkins wide or block a shot. He needed to be closer to his goal line so Watkins had very little to aim at. If he's beaten it has to be hit hard, or right in the corner. Instead he's stood in no man's land and Watkins just scuffs it past him into the open goal.

His positioning for Watkins' goal was horrific. He's an aggressive front-foot keeper who reads the game well and comes and wins the ball, but he is always of that mindset. He commanded the box well, saved Coutinho's effort well, but yet again was nowhere near making the save from Watkins despite it being a piss-poor effort. He should be reading that situation much better. Akanji was there as cover to either force Watkins wide or block a shot. He needed to be closer to his goal line so Watkins had very little to aim at. If he's beaten it has to be hit hard, or right in the corner. Instead he's stood in no man's land and Watkins just scuffs it past him into the open goal.
Lol

The other team can score goals shocker ! He made several saves in the game but because he didnt do it in the shape of an olympic diver you are a fronted , grow up
It’s a save he should be making. Or be doing better with. His save % isn’t great. I need to grow up for not thinking he’s a great shot stopper, which is just objectively true.

I’d suggest you are the one who needs to “grow up” if you can’t have normal debates and conversations.

He’s incredible with his feet, distinctly average shot stopper - I’m not sure why that’s controversial.

Just looking at the goal for them yesterday. When Bernie loses the ball in midfield, Laporte is more or less in position, Rodri has pushed forward to support Bernie and Akanji is way out wide, wider than the penalty box. There is at least 20 yards between Akanji and Laporte with Watkins standing right in the middle of that space. That is just basic poor positioning. Laporte maybe could have done more to get Akanji to hold position being the senior CB but I genuinely dont understand what the lad was doing so wide with both Mahrez and Walker in front of him.

So Watkins receives the obvious pass and moves towards the goal. Both Laporte and Akanji run to intercept. Akanji has a chance to put in a tackle before Watkins is in the penalty box but allows him to take another few paces until his attempted block goes in fractionally after Watkins has shot. Dias undoubtedly would have been closer to Watkins and would have attempted the tackle far sooner.

Eddie meanwhile stands at the edge of the six yards box waiting for the shot. His legs are wide apart limiting his ability to dive right or left or get down low quickly. I always thought Goalkeepers should play on the balls of their feet so that they could move quickly in any direction. The inevitable happens and he all but watches the ball run past him because he is rooted to the spot. Its all coachable but both Akanji and Ederson are culpable for mistakes they shouldn't be making at this level. Its not enough to say Laporte/Dias/Stones must make up the CB positions, Akanji will play again and at the moment in my estimation he is costing us a goal a game through poor positioning, sluggish defending and being beaten to any ball above neck height. He has shown some real promise when he first came so hopefully he will get that back as soon as.

It’s a save he should be making. Or be doing better with. His save % isn’t great. I need to grow up for not thinking he’s a great shot stopper, which is just objectively true.

I’d suggest you are the one who needs to “grow up” if you can’t have normal debates and conversations.

He’s incredible with his feet, distinctly average shot stopper - I’m not sure why that’s controversial.
Nail on the head.
Brilliant with his feet.
Not so good at stopping shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.