31 | Ederson - 2024/25

Ortega hasn't been promised anything, which is why his extension was a short one. Eddie and his agent are looking to renegotiate his contract, nothing more.

Ortega hasn't been promised anything, which is why his extension was a short one. Eddie and his agent are looking to renegotiate his contract, nothing more.

You don't know that for certain - he sounds like could well be on way to me.

The narrative is set on here that the debate about Eddie is only based on a big Saudi money offer turning his head.

We know that Ortega wants more minutes and has extended his contract, which means that Maresco and Pep wanted to keep him and surely that they have offered him an interesting plan about game time.

That must not mean he was told to be the new #1, but certainly more game time - and that leaves less for Eddie. That's some kind of downgrade for Eddie and surely a reason to look somewhere else...

That is how it seems to me.

I also don't buy the other prominent narrative that our game is vastly being dependent on Eddie.
His long distributions are unmatched but besides that Ortega's distribution is good enough for what we need - and on top he is a better shot stopper, penalty killer and has a more controlled timing out of the box instead of Eddie's kamikaze style clearances.

I fully understand Eddie is loved for all the silverware he won with us but his influence is exaggerated.

If Eddie stays as #1 Ortega would feel betrayed
while Eddie surely can't stay as #2.

I think the decision has been made by Maresca and Pep/Txiki, not by Eddie. Looks like a farewell. IMHO.
Ortega's distribution is good enough as our second keeper and a decent enough imitation, It's a massive downgrade if he is suddenly our number 1 though.

Edersons kamikaze approach is decisive, he will naturally get things wrong from time to time but the defenders can be pretty darn sure if it's within a potentially gettable range, ederson is coming for it and that's huge for the players in front of him.

Ortega tries to weight his decisions which is perhaps more sensible in theory but that leads to indecisiveness, we saw it in the cup final, we've seen it before that, there was even some of it on display for their third goal last night and we will see it again in the future.

Edersons Influence is not overstated, it's infact understated, i suspect we've become so accustomed to it that many will perhaps only see it once he's gone and we're trying to work out why we're suddenly not able to dominate as we once did and why we make more mistakes at the back that cost us. There is nobody on earth like Ederson, our game would suffer substantially and we will become a lot more vulnerable.

Maresca is Chelsea manager by the way. I assume you mean our goalkeeping coach which is xabi mancisidor.

Lol such a useful post - pointing out that I'm speculating. But you're right I'm not in contact with Eddie, his agent, Romano, Pep, or the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

yes so why state something as if it fact when it is your opinion?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.