34 years ago today....

602901_128404167344642_1064703684_n.jpg
Great picture. Front cover of the Birmingham programme 28th Dec 1985
I have this picture signed and framed by all the players and Book / Pardoe - except John Bookbinder who sadly passed away in 2006
His sister Susan signed it on his behalf.

Game before the first team had an attendance of just over 19k yet the this final appeared to have a far larger crowd. Odd times in those days for reporting the crowd. Nowadays we announce a crowd based on tickets sold, in those days we just made it up. Some games were so bad the highlight was the announcement of the crowd followed by laughter

That final was pretty much the reason why I got so into it. I was nominally a City fan at that point, because you had to support someone and there was never any question of me supporting that lot, just because it seemed like everyone else at school did. By chance, my mum's work had a do in one of the suites at the swamp on the night of the first leg. I was obviously backing City, but something about it - even from behind glass - captivated me enough to insist that my Dad took me to the home leg. Guess it was right time, right place kind of thing - I would have been 14, that age when you're looking for things you connect with. I think I've written on here before about the second leg, but I remember walking past the front of the Main Stand, essentially along the side of the pitch, to find a seat. A glorious shambles. But wasn't everything about City in those days? Anyway, I was hooked from then and started going regularly the following season.

Last edited:
Lakey always stood out as the class act, but i thought paul molden would’ve had a better career than he did, natural goal scorer
Moulden was too slow and not strong enough to be a top striker, despite his undeniable eye for goal. A top striker needs at least two of those three attributes. His career after City supports that contention.

Moulden was too slow and not strong enough to be a top striker, despite his undeniable eye for goal. A top striker needs at least two of those three attributes. His career after City supports that contention.
I always thought that maybe it came too easy for Mouldy as a youngster and maybe as he got older he wasn’t prepared to put the conditioning work in to bolster his undeniably brilliant natural finishing ability.

Robbie Fowler for example wasn’t a natural athlete but he made the best of what he had

I always thought that maybe it came too easy for Mouldy as a youngster and maybe as he got older he wasn’t prepared to put the conditioning work in to bolster his undeniably brilliant natural finishing ability.

Robbie Fowler for example wasn’t a natural athlete but he made the best of what he had
That’s a good point about Fowler. Maybe that ridiculous goals tally at Bolton Lad’s Club ultimately hindered Moulden. Made it all seem too easy.

He had no pace mate your right, but in them days pace wasn’t as vital for a striker as it is nowadays, he’s goal scoring record as a teenager was unbelievable!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.