34 years on and it’s still 5-1

This is how it was reported in New York:

Notice the comments about money. Always worth remembering Fergie had created the most expensive team ever assembled in Brirain at that time.

I was doing a CPC course all day. Well before the likes of Internet and text messages so I had no idea when I arrived home around 6.00. Remember being slightly shocked for a minute before it sunk in. We never looked back after that ( ha ha ha).

I never realised how low down the table the rags finished that season but just looked up the final league table :

View attachment 94163
Look at the state of goals scored especially at the top of the table.

We managed just over a goal a game, didn't seem that bad at the time.

Football under Bobby and especially Pellers & Pep owes a lot to City.

As I've posted before my house alarm code was 2309 before we moved so although we weren't happy where we were for many years I always had a little smile going in.

Just started getting serious with the first Mrs who had 4 younger brothers all living in Salford (Rags too obviously) Let's just say I enjoyed the day. One of them became a Blue and was the black sheep of the family. My first Derby I attended without throwing any punches. LOL.

I was also 14 then. Didn't cross my mind then that I would be a full grown man by the time we next beat the bastards after a trip up and down the divisions. Never dreamed after the last Maine Rd Derby we would go on to surpass them on and off the pitch.
September 23rd 1989 will always be a bit special as Derby day memories go.
Chance at the far post. That's just marvellous stuff.
I was 15 and the same. Imagine someone telling you how it was going to turn out!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.