3rd Round Challenge Cup Draw - Sheff Wed at home.

andyswfc said:
Think we are more or less agreeing Gary...congrats on last night BTW..thought City looked extremely comfortable..
Yea ive read the telegraph report and several others like it post Hillsborough...Most football fans have had experiences like that all over the country if they travelled away in those days..not only at football stadia, but railway stations etc...one of my worst was Forest away..stuck in an ante room at the Station with no room to breathe and a police horse trying to get in...but it sounds more sinister if it happened on the Lepp pre '89...thats not saying it didn't happen..it quite obviously did to teams like City and United who travelled in numbers to Hillsborough.
It also happened at grounds up and down the country, Luckily..or unluckily'

Totally agree. I hate how the world seems to be pointing the finger at Hillsborough as if the stadium was unfit in every way. The fact is it was one of our best venues and the disaster could have happened at many other venues which were poor. There were lots of factors why the disaster happened and I reckon that if they did the same level of investigation about match day organisation, safety certificates, and so on at other leading stadia they'd find that many of them were worse than Hillsborough.

I've always had a soft spot for Hillsborough and Wednesday and I hope you do well, but not in the FA Cup of course!

Love the FA cup, Does anyone know the date of this yet, hope it's the Saturday not the Sunday so I can get absolutely Larruped...

Tanzeylee said:
Love the FA cup, Does anyone know the date of this yet, hope it's the Saturday not the Sunday so I can get absolutely Larruped...
Hoping its the Saturday too mate...so we can avoid getting the same................

andyswfc said:
Tanzeylee said:
Hoping its the Saturday too mate...so we can avoid getting the same................

Sunday the 4th at 3pm Confirmed. Not televised Either.

SaddleworthBlueRhino said:
andyswfc said:
Tanzeylee said:

Sunday the 4th at 3pm Confirmed. Not televised Either.

Brilliant. Full house including 6,000 daft Yorkies. I love the F.A. Cup.

Still 3pm Saturday 3rd Jan according to the FA Website.

We will change it but not let you know or or give a reason - very poor form by all concerned putting fans last.

City just tweeted.

FA CUP: #mcfc's home tie with @swfc will take place on Sun 4 Jan at 3pm and will not be broadcast live. Ticket details to be released soon.
0 replies 69 retweets 32 favorites
Reply Retweet69 Favorite32
More

Just going back to the events of 1989 and various others mentioned regarding the Leppings Lane End (has 1981 been mentioned?) I'd like to give an opinion as stadium seating was my families industry at the start of the 1990's and was something I was heavily involved with from an engineering and fitting point of view.

Now I've stood and sat in that stand watching City, I was at the ground on New Years Day 1990 in the seats above whilst the terrace was still twisted and broken and obviously condemned. I was also part of a crew of five who eventually fitted the seating that is still in place to this day, as well as seating the Main and Kop End Stands at Sheffield Wednesday.

I've never felt completely comfortable in that stand when a game was in place especially on the concourse underneath with it being so narrow and dimly lit. And if I'm honest 25 years later I'm shocked it's not yet met the wrecking ball as for me it's completely inadequate for this day and age and it's continued existence must still add as a painful reminder for many.

I appreciate that it's obviously passing it's safety certs and also SWFC aren't in a financial position currently to build a new stand but it's the only ground/stand in Britain that's held a major disaster and still continues to be in place to this day. Look at Ibrox and Valley Parade as examples? totally unrecognizable to what they both once were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.