3rd unidentified object shot down, this time over Canada - P17

It's really a proper non-story, we're told that a satellite can almost count the hairs on somebody's head and the world is pissing about causing worry about a fucking balloon.

Its a provocation, just China testing the waters to see what the US would do, and zero coincidence it happened a week before Blinken was headed out there.

This balloon was up at 60,000ft, which is roughly the equivalent distance between the Etihad and the centre of Bolton.

Shooting it down with a missile at this altitude (difficult in itself) would scatter debris over 1000's of square kilometers, and be utterly pointless form an intelligence gathering perspective.

I guess some kind of directed energy weapon such as a high intensity laser could be used in an attempt to rupture the balloon and then track the payload to the ground optically, but the difficulty here is getting a laser with enough power close enough to take the shot.

This balloon was up at 60,000ft, which is roughly the equivalent distance between the Etihad and the centre of Bolton.

Shooting it down with a missile at this altitude (difficult in itself) would scatter debris over 1000's of square kilometers, and be utterly pointless form an intelligence gathering perspective.

I guess some kind of directed energy weapon such as a high intensity laser could be used in an attempt to rupture the balloon and then track the payload to the ground optically, but the difficulty here is getting a laser with enough power close enough to take the shot.
Yes but the resulting rapid deflation accompanied by the endless cartoon type farting noise would be a sight to behold

Because countries can only claim airspace up to a certain altitude. If the Americans shot down the balloon, they would be creating a precedent whereby any country with the capability could potentially feel within it's rights to shoot down a foreign geostationary satellite that was above its airspace.
I think the Americans are just going to have to swallow this one.
I didn't know that. Everyday is a school day here. ; )

Can’t they just put a big needle on the front of an F18 and poke it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.