4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id love that all to be correct,but im not sure the attitude is there with Philips.

You'd expect him to be at least be in peak shape,especially after the criticism earlier in the season,yet looking at him on that bus with his shirt off he still looked like he was carrying a few excess pounds......im not convinced the penny is dropping.

We'll see when he reports for preseason.....he should be like a rabid dog,and at the front of every fitness test.

I think Phillips has had a number of things to knock his confidence. He's had years of playing through injury at Leeds and being rushed back before adequate recovery, then moving to a team where the standards are super high, getting surgery and having the self doubts that he belongs in that level... That's a lot to contend with, especially fearing another injury.

Funnily enough, during the last game he was given a start I saw some glimpses of play I saw at Leeds with the pressure off him.

I'm hoping he takes Stones and Grealish as inspiration for injury recovery and confidence examples if he stays.

From a Leeds fan’s point of view in the 2020/21 season he was one of the best DM’s in the league imo and one of our most important players who we were justified in placing a high price tag for. Even though the 2 seasons prior were in the Championship he looked so good no one doubted he’d step up to the PL (like when Grealish was playing in the Championship). 2021/22 injury issues started and he looked fairly average when he did play (whilst still being a huge absence when we lost him for a period). I don’t know if he’ll make it at City but I would have thought if Bielsa could coach him from a player we thought would end up in League 1 to an England international who earnt a transfer to the PL champions Pep would be able to get something out of him. He needs to turn up back for pre-season with no excess weight and a determined attitude to put things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.