47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

I think after 7+ years.. Pep knows he's not good enough for the attacking midfield job as we've gone from Gundogan's control to Foden's chaos.

Treble winners to almost United level who are only 3 points behind.

View attachment 100784

Sadly just like Kalvin Foden isn't a Pep pausa midfielder, but he's very good on the wings and I suspect that's where his future is.

I believe this story before but I don't buy this pausa thing anymore.

If pausa is the standard, the answer should be Grealish or Bernado - but Pep chooses Alvarez. This is just an excuse to not play Foden there.

If pausa is the standard, the answer should be Grealish or Bernado - but Pep chooses Alvarez. This is just an excuse to not play Foden there.
Spot on.

I’ve seen Foden more recently keep it simple and keep the ball plenty of times almost consciously when he’s been central. Certainly more so than Alvarez. For me his biggest problem is losing the ball when he’s got players around him not by dribbling but by not shielding the ball well enough. David wasn’t opposed to taking a fair few touches with players right on him but like Gundo he would shield the ball superbly by getting his body in between man and ball. Foden is very poor at this. He’ll keep the ball on his left foot when the defender is on that side. Leads to him losing it very easily. Silva would always do those little turns to keep it. As great as David was he was hardly doing anything astonishing in that he just protected it brilliantly.

I’ve seen Foden more recently keep it simple and keep the ball plenty of times almost consciously when he’s been central. Certainly more so than Alvarez. For me his biggest problem is losing the ball when he’s got players around him not by dribbling but by not shielding the ball well enough. David wasn’t opposed to taking a fair few touches with players right on him but like Gundo he would shield the ball superbly by getting his body in between man and ball. Foden is very poor at this. He’ll keep the ball on his left foot when the defender is on that side. Leads to him losing it very easily. Silva would always do those little turns to keep it. As great as David was he was hardly doing anything astonishing in that he just protected it brilliantly.
Can't talk about protecting the ball and leave out Nasri. He was the best at it

Yeah it is perfect double standard.

If Pep says goal threat is the standard, okay I understand why it is Alvarez. And what the others need to work on.

I accept other standards like "who is better at finding Halaand" "who is better at pressing" or even "who is better at headers". That all makes sense. I am perfectly fine if Pep said he wants the best headers from the midfielder and then start Ake on that position.

But he says pausa and defending...

If that is standard, the answer should be Bernado or Grealish.

Never Alvarez.

And I guess Pep will put other candidate in that position in some dead rubber game surrounding by strangers and weird set up. Then the candidate will play crap. Then Pep will declare that Alvarez is the only answer.

I thought that Grealish only played 8 once with Mendy? And then Pep said a firm no to it.

Palmer played with Cancelo last season when Cancelo went really crazy. Then Pep locked Palmer on the bench until the end of the season.

Made similar points in recent weeks. I think part of the problem is that Foden still looks a little physically underdeveloped, particularly his upper body, so he’s often sat on his pants when he gets bumped.

Think the Foden midfield hopes are most likely dead in the water atm. Maybe one day.

Think he HAS to play in the middle right now.

Haaland isnt his efficient self and Alvarez while a good goal threat, lacks more midfield like qualities.

Bernie, Nunes and such are just not a threat.

We need a play who can create and score in the middle, our wings are more for chance creating, they dont score.

KdB was that player, then it was Alvarez this season but we see his lack of midfield qualities.

It has to be Foden in the middle.

Neither do I for a second... but even if he didn't have pausa. I'd assume the upside of this sort of passing range combined with his goal-scoring threat would be worth the risk. Guess not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.