47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is 23 been amazing or effect every game he has played but pep is still coaching him to be that world class midfielder he ain't one demential lien Saka all be it he is great at that position! Give foden the right side never move him play every game there for a year plus he would be twice the player Saka is!

He was far better in the 2nd half when he moved to the left of midfield as it allowed him to overlap Jack and actually start to find space and make things happen.
Having 2 very left footed players in Cole and Phil with a right back who rarely goes on the overlap was never going to work, it was more a Pep error than an indication of Phil's ability as a CM.

It’s all about expectations. As fans we expect Phil to become a world beater. If anything, it looks like he is trying to hard. Still always get a good solid 7/10 no matter where he plays.

I am going to temper mine this season. It’s not his job to replace kdb. Stupid to think he could.

It's hard to temper your expectations without people automatically accusing you of being negative, but Foden is the perfect example.

He's already a 10 goal a season PL Midfielder, won the CL, and scored a hat trick in a Manchester Derby.

Gerrard and Scholes might have done it for longer periods, but more recently, I can't think of many Academy Players at any PL club who've come anywhere remotely close to what Foden has achieved.

He's virtually the 2nd best player in 3-4 positions, but I'm not convinced that he'll ever become that first name on the teamsheet who opponents fear the most. His tends to enjoy moments of brilliance, but just like the CL Final, he never uses it as a springboard for total domination.

Instead I think he'll continue to score 10 PL goal a season which makes him indispensable.

Last edited:
Looks like with this Paqueta news his time may have finally arrived to play a full season in the middle, which is something I've always wanted to see.

----- Foden ------ Silva -----
------------- Rodri -------------

Foden can link up with Grealish and Silva with Palmer on the right. Silva always plays well on the right too.

Even without KDB and Gundogan, this is still the most talented midfield in the PL. Just need them to gel which is why we have the best in the business in Pep.

Obviously when Stones returns he'll also be a huge contributor in this midfield.

It’s all about expectations. As fans we expect Phil to become a world beater. If anything, it looks like he is trying to hard. Still always get a good solid 7/10 no matter where he plays.

I am going to temper mine this season. It’s not his job to replace kdb. Stupid to think he could.
I agree that Phil has always had very high expectations put upon him, perhaps due to him being the only real success story (so far) from our Academy ?
Didn't he win the U'17 World Cup winning team's player of the tournament ?
So, he has been a winner since he was 17 and has won many, many trophies at City.
But, if it is not his job to be our most creative central midfield player if KDB is out injured for several months, who else can play that role ?
McAtee looks like he can play as #10, but he is very inexperienced.

Looks like with this Paqueta news his time may have finally arrived to play a full season in the middle, which is something I've always wanted to see.

----- Foden ------ Silva -----
------------- Rodri -------------

Foden can link up with Grealish and Silva with Palmer on the right. Silva always plays well on the right too.

Even without KDB and Gundogan, this is still the most talented midfield in the PL. Just need them to gel which is why we have the best in the business in Pep.

Obviously when Stones returns he'll also be a huge contributor in this midfield.

The only problem is the height. Both Foden and Bernado very short. It will minimize our threat in the air because Halaand is not good at headers as well. Gundo is not tall but still much taller than that.

Ideally I would prefer to have a taller midfielder joining us and pair him with either Foden/Bernado (while the other playing on the wing) when we face park-the-bus team.

3-Diamond-3, where he was the attacking point of the diamond. Not sure he knows what he’s doing in that role.

Much prefer to see him play LM, with the ability to interact in a Foden-Grealish-Haaland triangle, with Rodri-Kovacic-Gvardiol as low pressure outlets.
It is more like a Foden-Grealish-Gvardiol triangle to me in that game. And the funny point is that I found it generate more threat when Grealish roam inside and Foden roam outside. One thing for sure it looks much better than Grealish + Kovacic. In the post match interview this switch was also mentioned.

I think that Foden actually played much better in the 2nd half when he could roam more to the left wing. The first half was more like a tactic failure to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.