47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Fuck all to do with being an academy product.

He’s that good he can play anywhere in the front 6 and have effective games.

At this best central / in the pocket imo.

If it was my team I’d have him in the Messi role. Let him do what he wants anywhere in the opponent’s half, free reign, get him on the ball and let him run at them, free spirit vibe.

I actually think Pep “tames” him too much (as he does with Grealish) as Pep is obsessed with “keeping the ball”.

Being made to play out of position is nothing new - we all know that Bernardo is better centrally than on the wing but he still plays out wide plenty of times. Zinchenko spent his whole City career at left-back (and because Arsenal somehow haven't noticed that he's not a natural defender, he's pretty much now doomed to spend the rest of his career there).

Foden hasn’t always been central this season he has been out on the right out of possession with Walker pushing high up in possession providing the width and phil coming inside. I thought the problem yesterday was no Walker so no high and wide from stones meaning phil was isolated out wide.

I would like to know what others think about this. I find it odd that Phil is being made to play on the wing, even though he has performed exceptionally well in the central position. Moreover, other players who make similar mistakes, such as losing the ball, which Pep has cited as the reason for not playing Phil in midfield, still seem to be chosen over him.

I understand that it's almost blasphemous to question Pep's decisions. However, if Phil were purchased for a significant fee, I would find it hard to believe that Pep would play him in any other position despite being our top-performing attacking midfielder throughout the season.
adding on from what ive already said, this narrative was used after the game v brentford, amazing really that they should put a slightly negative slant on a motm and hatrick performance, i thought what a load of shite then and your post now

I would like to know what others think about this. I find it odd that Phil is being made to play on the wing, even though he has performed exceptionally well in the central position. Moreover, other players who make similar mistakes, such as losing the ball, which Pep has cited as the reason for not playing Phil in midfield, still seem to be chosen over him.

I understand that it's almost blasphemous to question Pep's decisions. However, if Phil were purchased for a significant fee, I would find it hard to believe that Pep would play him in any other position despite being our top-performing attacking midfielder throughout the season.

Under Pep:
Gvardiol, a top CB, is playing LB.
Ake, a CB is playing LB.
Akanji, a CB often plays RB
Stones, a CB, plays in midfield.
Rico, a RB in midfield
Yaya a DM, played in a more attacking midfield role.
Gundogan a DM played AM/10.
Kompany a DM played CB
Zinchenko a DM played LB
Delph a DM played LB
Cancelo a RB played LB
Aguero a 9 someteimes played a 10
Jesus a 9 played a 10 and on the wings.
Bernardo, anywhere wnd everywhere.
Dinho, anywhere and everyehere.
Kevin, across multiple front positions.
Sterling a winger, played as a striker.
Alvarez a striker played as a 10.
Etc etc.

And Foden is treated differently because he is from the academy?

giphy.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.