5 | John Stones - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised no ones commented on him so far. I'm not his biggest fan but I thought he was really good today outside a couple bad turnovers.

I thought he really struggled in possession and lost the ball in dangerous areas far too often. He also looks like he's lacking aggression in 1v1s. I think with Stones he needs regular games, and I'm actually hoping he starts for England and continues to build momentum.

I thought he really struggled in possession and lost the ball in dangerous areas far too often. He also looks like he's lacking aggression in 1v1s. I think with Stones he needs regular games, and I'm actually hoping he starts for England and continues to build momentum.
Think he's banned for the first one because of that ridiculous red card he got against Hungary last time.

Thought he was dreadful today , too lax by half
You kinda know with him that he is gonna lose the ball in certain situations and put the team under real pressure defensively. I remember 2 or 3 occasions in the first half yesterday when he lost it and I thought that a more talented and clinical attack would have punished us. But there is no doubt he has a lot to offer and is a very talented footballer...don't like him at fullback.

He had a poor game but he’s been really good at RB in the past, including Dortmund less than a week ago. He’s there cos Kyle is out and it gives Pep a chance to give him and Akanji minutes. We still have the option of switching Cancelo and starting Gomez.

We won and kept another clean sheet, it’s not ridiculous.

He had a poor game but he’s been really good at RB in the past, including Dortmund less than a week ago. He’s there cos Kyle is out and it gives Pep a chance to give him and Akanji minutes. We still have the option of switching Cancelo and starting Gomez.

Fair enough. Maybe not ridiculous, but doesn't showcase his best qualities out right.

Reactions: kun
Fair enough. Maybe not ridiculous, but doesn't showcase his best qualities out right.
This is true but with every player, defenders especially, their “best qualities” are only as good as much as they can help the team. Right now Stonesy is needed to help.

Never a right back as long as he’s got a hole in his arse. Can provide steady cover there if we’re short but not really doing his long term prospects as a class centre half much good if he’s the one playing there whilst Laporte is still out. Against Dortmund he did a decent job as someone playing out of position but still provided no width for Mahrez(not Stones’s fault obviously as he’s a centre half). Was probably minutes from being subbed for Gomez as a final throw of the dice before scoring a random screamer.

Feel a bit sorry for him really as he’s probably inadvertently dropping down the pecking order with a new centre half looking good and Laporte soon back just because he can do a makeshift job at right back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.