5 | John Stones - 2023/24

No english player so far comes out with any credit.

Yes the manager is shit but so what, your playing for your country and this squad has been appalling to a man.

Take off the blue glasses.

The blue glasses stay on! :-)

I don't totally disagree with you, but there are mitigating circumstances for those used to playing in a positional system under Pep.

I'm not totally blinkered though. I think Phil's not done much, but isn't helped by having to rely on supply from the likes of Rice and Trippier. John's done fine - as I said, he's trying to get us playing football, but it's not how most of the team play, so it's a struggle. I think he's been quite dominant in the air and led the defence well mostly. His pace does look gone though. Kyle's looking clumsy to me, nothing like a Pep player.

The blue glasses stay on! :-)

I don't totally disagree with you, but there are mitigating circumstances for those used to playing in a positional system under Pep.

I'm not totally blinkered though. I think Phil's not done much, but isn't helped by having to rely on supply from the likes of Rice and Trippier. John's done fine - as I said, he's trying to get us playing football, but it's not how most of the team play, so it's a struggle. I think he's been quite dominant in the air and led the defence well mostly. His pace does look gone though. Kyle's looking clumsy to me, nothing like a Pep player.
Stone's tournament sums up his season. just like Walker, both hugely underwhelming.

12 months ago there was no better CB in Europe than Stones, that sadly is far from the case now, injuries and loss of form have destroyed him, he was not playing at the end of last season for a reason.

This argument sums up why I hate the English national team, far too tribal with club players.

Stone's tournament sums up his season. just like Walker, both hugely underwhelming.

12 months ago there was no better CB in Europe than Stones, that sadly is far from the case now, injuries and loss of form have destroyed him, he was not playing at the end of last season for a reason.

This argument sums up why I hate the English national team, far too tribal with club players.

Hard to say I'm being 'tribal' really, I'd say I've actually been quite balanced. I do want to see our players do well and that should be by using them similarly to how Pep uses them, but Southgate can't do that, too many playing their own random games. This was always going to be a problem.

Also hard to say either Kyle or John have been 'the problem', when we've let in 2 goals in 4 games. However, the team should be building attacks from the defence, and everything hits a sluggish, disjointed, wall in midfield. Rice is frustrating the hell out of me.

Last edited:
Totally disagree. He's the one holding the team together and the one getting them playing anything near to a passing game. Without him we'd be complete shite.

He's limited to playing a more straightforward centre-back role by Southgate, but don't ignore how important he is still.
I would like to press like for this at least 10 times. I wanted to say something similar in that for me he played extremely well yesterday in a turgid embarrassing game. In fact he was my MOTM. I knew that because of my allegiance to said player folk would say I was wearing John Stones tinted glasses. :-)
He made a couple of mistakes but he hasn't got the players around him to trust unfortunately. :-)

This is ridiculously OTT

I think he's been decent. He's had an out of sorts walker on one side and a centre back partner who's at his first tournament.

He's also got a midfield in front of him who's are not playing in their proper positions and not creating any space.

Three different players have played next to rice and nothing has changed.

At least Stones looks calm and is taking to the experienced centre back role

It's really not. He had a poor second half of the season and has had a poor tournament.

Have you noticed no one likes your rude posts about johnny

Booooooo to yous

Last edited:
In all the excitement’ (!) of the game and the repercussions a message from John Stones appears not to have been widely reported.
He dedicated last night’s win to a little 5 yr old cancer sufferer who died during the game. Little Dillan Ramsay, according to the MEN, passed away during the match.
John Stones said:
“Tonight was for Dillan," he shared. "A special little boy that touched mine and my family’s hearts. He’s an inspiration to us all. Rest in peace little fighter, our thoughts are with his family during this unimaginably difficult time."

RIP little one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.