5 | John Stones - 2023/24

Fit enough to keep Pigeoniho in his pocket.

Some people (not you Mr @Alan Harper's Tash) don’t want our pigeon/players saver to stay. They think he should go to Girona I think it was, I’m not going back to look because I might get angry or emotional.
Johnny Boy is going NOWHERE! Leave him be. Pep gave him a big, big hug the other day so he’s happy. Don’t upset me please just before the end of the season. :-)

What's the reason he isn't playing now available?, seems odd when we have clearly rushed him back early a couple of times this season. Is he still carrying something or has Pep dropped him from his 1st choice line up?
Because we changed our tactics. We do not need a centre back going into midfield. We now play Gvardiol left wing and Foden is now the player moving from their starting position into midfield. With Gvardiol playing higher, Ake has been getting the nod because he’s left footed so gives us the best balance in the back 3 that remains once Gvardiol goes to the wing. With Ake injured, Akanji will now do that role. So it’s purely tactical. This set up has been working and Stones doesn’t really fit in it.

Because we changed our tactics. We do not need a centre back going into midfield. We now play Gvardiol left wing and Foden is now the player moving from their starting position into midfield. With Gvardiol playing higher, Ake has been getting the nod because he’s left footed so gives us the best balance in the back 3 that remains once Gvardiol goes to the wing. With Ake injured, Akanji will now do that role. So it’s purely tactical. This set up has been working and Stones doesn’t really fit in it.

Good assessment, though I would prefer stones instead of walker as the right back/right sided CB in a back three. Before Saturday I'd have preferred him to Diaz too.

I wonder if part of it is that he's had one his injury hit seasons and the physios and coaching staff know he'll be flogged in the euros and as it's our strongest area in terms of depth we can afford to be patient.

I agree with the not stepping into midfield bit, however imo John is a better centre half than any of the others anyway so would still be playing for me if he’s fully fit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.