50 years a Blue

Great to see so many Old Blues proud of their long standing support.

My dear old dad is now long gone so a lot is consigned to history and I cannot give exact dates or matches but my dad told me he took me before going to primary school which would have been 1952. I am pushing about 65 years as a Blue but wish I could have an anniversary date.

One early memory I can recall is beating United at Maine Road when Duncan Edwards was playing and the City fans in the Maine Stand were giving stick to Albert Scanlon for 'putting a barmaid in the family way'.

In my innocence I asked my dad what that meant and as with all awkward questions he said 'ask your mum'.

Between them they produced a family of which two sons, five grandsons, two great grandsons (so far), are all true blue with not a rag to ruin the family name, plus the wives and girlfriends all who know how important City are to us all.

George Heslop was the centre half/stopper when I first started going to the match.
I think he ended up as the landlord at The City Gates pub on Hyde Road for a spell in the 1980s.
Yes I was with George in the pub the night after we beat Charlton (promotion 85) great bloke.

Had a season ticket since 1957 aged 6 so I guess I'm fast approaching my 60 the anniversary! Started in the Platt Lane stand with my dad and, through the years moved around the stadium and sat on all four sides. Seen some great players and great games and endured some utter dross. Been to every cup final since I started watching with the exception of the ECWC win.

As the username suggests I skipped school to watch us gain promotion with a midweek 1-0 win away at Rotherham and I was at St James Park to watch us win the league in 1968. The following season was at Maine Road with my dad watching us "terrify Europe" against Fenerbache when my dad suffered his first (and fatal) heart attack aged 48 ! I don't go to the cemetery to visit dad I go to watch City and visit him there. When the going gets tough during a match I often have a little mental chat with my dad and ask him to put a word in for the blues with the big fella and it usually works. Last weeks penalty shoot out was down to my Dad you know !

My two sons sit with me and have both held season tickets for over 25 years and our connection with City is so strong my 5 year old grandson is called Blue! The future has never looked so good, thanks for the memories City.

Top man. :)

What a lot of great memories from the older guys. I am proud to join you, my first visit to Maine Road being the infamous cup replay with Newcastle on 9th January 1957, which we lost 5-4. I've been fortunate to see City win the league 3 times, the FA Cup twice, and the League Cup 4 times. I hope and pray I can stick around long enough to see us win the European Cup. As well as the good times, there have been many bad times, I even went with my son to York on 19th December 1998, which I call our badge of honour. In summary the last 59 years has been unpredictable, what I will forecast for the next 59 years thanks to the Middle east investment, will be a predictable period of calm and success. Here' hoping.

Agreed absolutely some great memories from older blues.

My dad first took me to Gigg Lane to watch us lose 2-1 to Bury in 1966.

However although he took me on and off over the following 10 years, I didn't start going under my own steam until the 1977/78 season, when I was working and could afford a season ticket for the first time.

1969 season v Coventry City was my first outing. City won 3-1 and I was hooked. Saw them lose at Wembley to Wolves, (Fucking Gary Pearce), lose to Spurs over 2 games,( Fucking Ricky Villa) get relegated at home to Luton,( Fucking David Pleat) So many lows but in recent years highs to more than compensate. My personal favourites over the years were The Kings comeback v Newcastle ( Hairs on the back of the neck), Dickov at Wembley and Sergio's winner v QPR, watching with my son. Thanks pops for introducing me to the rollercoaster that is Manchester City. Fucking love it.

Had a season ticket since 1957 aged 6 so I guess I'm fast approaching my 60 the anniversary! Started in the Platt Lane stand with my dad and, through the years moved around the stadium and sat on all four sides. Seen some great players and great games and endured some utter dross. Been to every cup final since I started watching with the exception of the ECWC win.

As the username suggests I skipped school to watch us gain promotion with a midweek 1-0 win away at Rotherham and I was at St James Park to watch us win the league in 1968. The following season was at Maine Road with my dad watching us "terrify Europe" against Fenerbache when my dad suffered his first (and fatal) heart attack aged 48 ! I don't go to the cemetery to visit dad I go to watch City and visit him there. When the going gets tough during a match I often have a little mental chat with my dad and ask him to put a word in for the blues with the big fella and it usually works. Last weeks penalty shoot out was down to my Dad you know !

My two sons sit with me and have both held season tickets for over 25 years and our connection with City is so strong my 5 year old grandson is called Blue! The future has never looked so good, thanks for the memories City.

That reminds me of an emotional moment at the Old Trafford Test Match in 2013.

We were reminiscing over football, and having attended around 1200 City games, you can name any team or fixture, and I will instantly recall the date, the result, and all kinds of trivial nonsense.
I gave Birmingham City as an example, and mentioned the Neil McNab goal, Neil Lennon’s debut, the 2-1 defeat when all three goals were in injury time,, the 0-0 when they all invaded the pitch after the final whistle etc.

However, whenever I go to a Test Match, I get so drunk, I can’t remember a thing.

Everybody laughed, but during the Tea Interval, we started chatting to the blokes in front, who it transpired were articulate, posh Birmingham fans (I didn’t know they actually existed until then)

One of them confided that he’d been listening to our earlier conversation, before casually adding that he’d never forget Anelka’s goal at St Andrews because his dad had suffered a heart attack and died inside the stadium.

Talk about feeling a twat

My dad started going in the 1930's and is still a season ticket holder at the ripe old age of 86.

I am a spring chicken by comparison with only 54 years watching my beloved blues.

I was watching a youtube recording of the 1934 FA Cup Victory Parade, and the crowd can clearly be heard singing “Who said City couldn't play?”

Was that the first song associated with City?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.