7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes me wonder if the majority of the starters against Southampton knew that they wouldn’t be playing in the Derby….might explain some of the performances including Cancelo.

I also remember Pep having a similar rant about the players after he left Sterling out….basically saying if they don’t like the rotation they can leave

I think Cancelo is one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen…..on occasions he can be brilliant but more often than not he struggles with the basics and can’t be relied upon.

I am not sure he has the intelligence to play the Rico role (or the ball retention)……ironically a role which is probably made for him.

Something has definitely irked Pep…….wouldn’t be a surprise if Cancelo is part of the jigsaw.

Last edited:
It makes wonder if the majority of the starters against Southampton knew that they wouldn’t be playing in the Derby….might explain some of the performances including Cancelo.

I also remember Pep having a similar rant about the players after he left Sterling out….basically saying if they don’t like the rotation they can leave

I think Cancelo is one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen…..on occasions he can be brilliant but more often than not he struggles with the basics and can’t be relied upon.

I am not sure he has the intelligence to play the Rico role (or the ball retention)……ironically a role which is probably made for him.

Something has definitely irked Pep…….wouldn’t be a surprise if Cancelo is part of the jigsaw.
Cheers.
Rico is a control player - quick passing - tempo. Young, fast - very able on defense.

Cancelo is a different player altogether - deft long range passing in particular and a bit of dribbling nous. Suspect on defense - especially when not focused.

Entirely different players.

Rumours around on Twitter

[] #ManCity are ready to offer AC Milan Joao Cancelo in order to sign Rafael Leao.

Manchester City are reportedly interested in signing Rafael Leao and willing to offer Joao Cancelo to land the Portuguese international

Rumours around on Twitter

[] #ManCity are ready to offer AC Milan Joao Cancelo in order to sign Rafael Leao.

Manchester City are reportedly interested in signing Rafael Leao and willing to offer Joao Cancelo to land the Portuguese international
He would need to take a massive paycut in order for this to happen.
Milan doesn't have the ability to pay his wages that he makes at City.
He doesn't seem like the type of guy to accept that when this is likely his last big contract.

It would be a great option though.
Time will tell if it has legs.

It makes me wonder if the majority of the starters against Southampton knew that they wouldn’t be playing in the Derby….might explain some of the performances including Cancelo.

The starting lineup vs Southhampton

Ortega Moreno, Cancelo, Walker, Laporte, Gomez, Phillips, Gündogan (c), Foden, Palmer, Álvarez, Grealish

5 of them - Ortega, Gomez, Philips, Palmer, Alvarez definitely knew they would not start in the Derby. They were still at the stage of proving themselves in our team. I would think that they played hard but it did not work so well for various reasons.

3 of them - Cancelo, Walker, Foden - did start in the Derby and frankly speaking they played not at their level in both of the games. It could be the position, form or anything.

3 of them - Gundogan and Grealish were the only 2 players who could have a chance to start in the Derby but did not get selected. From what they did vs Southhampton, they did try hard but it did not really work.

So I don't think that the selection in the Derby really affected the performance vs Southhampton. It was just poor...

That would weaken us and we still would have to find another LB in a short space of time (impossible for this season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.