7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hate this guy is getting is amazing. He contributed a lot for the last 2 titles by playing more than any other defender and being one from just 2-3 City players making the PFA team of the season in back to back seasons.

Pep will have to play him, and also Bernardo, Foden, Walker, into form. My feeling is we won't win anything without Walker and Cancelo. Right now, Ake and Rico are midtable level as FBs. They can help us in many games, not in the most decisive games though. Ake and Walker wouldn't be great either, for obvious reasons.

That reporter that is close to aguero and the Portuguese boys, he said in summer that Bernardo was definitely staying, has just said 5 (Gundogan, Bernardo, Laporte, Walker and Cancelo) could leave city this summer and included cancelo who he highlighted as ‘not having the best relationship with pep and the coaching staff’. Didn’t say the same about any of the others though.

That reporter that is close to aguero and the Portuguese boys, he said in summer that Bernardo was definitely staying, has just said 5 (Gundogan, Bernardo, Laporte, Walker and Cancelo) could leave city this summer and included cancelo who he highlighted as ‘not having the best relationship with pep and the coaching staff’. Didn’t say the same about any of the others though.
This won't surprise me. I think Gundogan will stay a year too long. which is par for the course for us. We'll give him another 2 years, he'll play one and then leave. With the young kid's emergence, I can see Walker deciding it's time to move on. Cancelo and Laporte may move for more secure playing time and Bernado to fulfill a dream that seems less viable with every passing year.

Last year under the false 9 system he was nominally the LB but really ended up playing on attack as an extra man - maybe a third number 8. I think opponents started working this out in the spring but prior to that you could argue he was our most important player. At least I did, being of the opinion that he was the indispensable player - if he got hurt no one else could really fill that role.

Now, with Haaland, you're one short in midfield effectively and can't have a defender acting as a number 8. Pep has put Walker into the role of inverted fullback and that doesn't really fit him but Rico Lewis looks born to the role.

So the LB really now needs to be a defender. Cancelo ain't it. Hate to say but it is hard to see a consistent role for him now.

Flashy player who can be fun to watch if we're 2 or 3 up, some lovely touches and can set up a ball beautifully on his day.

Sadly not a player useful to have around when we're in a fight or our backs are a bit to the wall, goes hiding and a complete liability on the right side of defence and only slightly less so on the left. If the president of the USA is sleepy Joe then he's certainly sleepy João.

He's well replaceable particularly so if he has a poor attitude.

Thinks he’s better than he is. Flog him if he’s not happy. Keep him if he wants to fight for his place. Each entitled to their opinion but from my perspective, not good enough defensively for what we need. Some think he’s world class, I don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.