7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he’d just shown more fight he could have been banging in the goals still for us… Mahrez had a terrible start to the season and Grealish is still yet to hit anything like he needs to be for this team (he’s nudging ever nearer but still needs to improve an awful lot).

Raz could have been a regular this season if he’d just been braver about winning his place back. Never mind, he’s gone now and never coming back but it was disappointing to see.
+1
Sterling thought he was bigger than the club. And guess where that ended?

Never saw this coming. This won’t be popular but I’d bid for Shaw from the rag scum. Had a decent season, can pass and move and creates chances. In our system he’ll do very well. Should get him for nothing as his contract has run down
not-bad-very-good.gif

Sad the way it has ended, but Cancelo throwing the toys out of the pram is not surprising as he has history for this at previous clubs. If only we had bought a lb in the Summer, albeit Cucurella has not pulled up any trees at Chelsea yet.
Didn't help that Scousers burgled his house that time.

Meanwhile Chelsea just bought Enzo.

It's going to be a lot tougher to get into top 4 with Newcastle, Arsenal, Chelsea, Rags and Dippers all looking to spend and we've got an aging squad.

So he's just seeing the writing on the wall, gotta get younger and kick out the unmotivated!

Love it or hate it, Cancelo was one of our oldest regulars behind Gundo, KDB and Walker.

Mahrez seems to have responded to Pep and is carrying his weight now!

I don't think we are an ageing squad, just some of the players are just happy to be ticking turning over and just doing enough because of the status at the club, little of somebody pressing them for their places meaning they are starters at will, players like KDB, Silva, Walker, Cancelo, even Foden have had no pressure for their places really,

We have the best squad at first team level, 15 good players that walks into any team, but that is it, we should have 20 to 25 squad players pushing each other, but Pep keeps it to about 17 for the first team squad and then use the youth to sit on the bench and play cup games,

the biggest problem is the left backs, it's never been sorted and for a big club that wins titles and cups you think well it's OK we can use a system and cover the role,

I hope I am looking far too much into the blow out by Pep after the spurs game, maybe he wanted a re-action and got it and the major player has been outed and told to leave,

What this tells us once again is that everything can change really fast in a short period of time in football. From being considered the best in the world in his position and having started strong this season once again just a few months ago to having a dip in form for being overplayed and getting sent out off the team.
We may say he was overplayed, but like Pep said 2 years ago, Cancelo has the physicality and endurance to play most of the games of the season(Pepe said something like " cancelo can play 90 minutes and in the next day is ready to play another full game at the highest level"), he was 60 games deep into the end of last season(being one of the most used players along with goalkeepers) and he was still making runs and sprints up and down the field to help on the attack like it was the beginning of the season and averaging 10+Km per game.

I'm pretty sure Pep wouldn't have played him that much(he even played most of the cup games) if he didn't feel like he was in form to be played because he had natural options(maybe not the best but still valid) to replace him in those "less important games", but I think that's where the passion for the game from Cancelo comes into question, I think he just wants to play football and because of his tragic past, playing football is one of the main things that helps him ease his mind. He had a dip in form like it was expected and like what happens to every player but then got played against man united and was one of the best and it looked like we could be seeing Cancelo being played back to form again but then got benched again after that game and because of what i said that messes with his mental.
Yes, he was unhappy and maybe the environment wasn't the best but I don't think he was unprofessional in any way since he's been at City and i praise him for that. Good luck Cancelo.

From hero to zero got to say loved watching cancello on his day he was world class be missed from me.
From troubled prima-donna at Madrid - to a player who developed tremendously under Pep - to revert to his prima-donna tendencies. He's not a team player at this point - and has no place in our squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.