7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's worth more than any replacement tbh. He knows the club, he knows he was wrong (Apparently), he is actually very good, he can play peps tactics without a year of getting up to speed.

Perfect fit, as long as he comes back determined to prove himself which seems to be the case considering the headlines around him.
Something's got to him recently as he signed until 2027 last year. I'd rather we support him and try and get him back to where he was if he's struggling elsewhere too. He acted a bit of a dick, but we all do from time to time. He can achieve his past high standards and every club would want him then.

Something's got to him recently as he signed until 2027 last year. I'd rather we support him and try and get him back to where he was if he's struggling elsewhere too. He acted a bit of a dick, but we all do from time to time. He can achieve his past high standards and every club would want him then.
Once you've acted like a dick its either continue as you were or come back stronger having learnt your lesson, thats the way these things usually go, and it sets a massive example to the rest of the team players.

From the looks of things they've got a toxic player already causing them problems from the bench while Dias (who Cancelo didn't like) and Bernie (who is good pals with him, but basically had to double up as agony Aunt) look back to their old selves.
I agree with you mate, I don't doubt it was the right thing to shift him out I just wonder if there would have been a better club to laon/sell him to. Most clubs are broke though so maybe there wasn't.

Far too early to say we should or shouldn’t, might come down to whether he can show enough humility, I don’t think he’s gone too far in his behaviours to say it’s over, but can you imagine if he comes back with a CL winners medal (for playing a bit part) and we get shafted again, I would imagine that will cause problems in itself, it wouldn’t be like Alvarez & his WC win let’s just say that. If things are as fractured in Munich as is being made out, then BM will be wary of a Trojan horse & no way he plays if we draw them, might be a way for him to earn his stripes back

I agree with you mate, I don't doubt it was the right thing to shift him out I just wonder if there would have been a better club to laon/sell him to. Most clubs are broke though so maybe there wasn't.
It's frustrating, I get it, but the price of our recruitment and success over the last five years is that when players leave we'll inevitably strengthen rivals and/or not get as much as we should on the open market.

Who wudda thought it - a player that’s been toxic all season moves to another club and voila ….. he’s toxic there !!!

Eh. The first few times a player says they want to leave against your will, you can go 'they're toxic, they just can't handle not being guaranteed minutes'. I think in the modern era those first few were Sané and Eric Garcia and that's exactly what we all said.

Now it's happening an awful lot. Torres, Cancelo, Bernardo, Laporte, Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko have all either left or wanted to leave against our will. To me that points to players getting tired of Pep's rotation. Cancelo couldn't get back in the team because Lewis was occupying the slot, but was it Cancelo's fault that the World Cup came when it did? Laporte can't get minutes because Aké and Akanji are playing every game, but that's ultimately because those two happened to be fit at the start of the season and Laporte wasn't. I don't blame them, either; just because guys like Aké and Stones remain admirably professional even when they're not playing doesn't mean we should expect the exact same from everyone.

Players are getting sick of the rotation policy and it's leading to us losing a lot of players we'd have much rather kept. The aim at City is to create a squad where there are no guaranteed starters - but we can't pretend to be surprised when a lot of the elite players don't want to be part of a squad like that anymore. Wanting to start every important game is hardly a crime (and yes most of the above are bad examples as they've failed at their new clubs, but you can't blame players for backing themselves to be the main man).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.