7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh. The first few times a player says they want to leave against your will, you can go 'they're toxic, they just can't handle not being guaranteed minutes'. I think in the modern era those first few were Sané and Eric Garcia and that's exactly what we all said.

Now it's happening an awful lot. Torres, Cancelo, Bernardo, Laporte, Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko have all either left or wanted to leave against our will. To me that points to players getting tired of Pep's rotation. Cancelo couldn't get back in the team because Lewis was occupying the slot, but was it Cancelo's fault that the World Cup came when it did? Laporte can't get minutes because Aké and Akanji are playing every game, but that's ultimately because those two happened to be fit at the start of the season and Laporte wasn't. I don't blame them, either; just because guys like Aké and Stones remain admirably professional even when they're not playing doesn't mean we should expect the exact same from everyone.

Players are getting sick of the rotation policy and it's leading to us losing a lot of players we'd have much rather kept. The aim at City is to create a squad where there are no guaranteed starters - but we can't pretend to be surprised when a lot of the elite players don't want to be part of a squad like that anymore. Wanting to start every important game is hardly a crime (and yes most of the above are bad examples as they've failed at their new clubs, but you can't blame players for backing themselves to be the main man).
We did great business getting shut of Sterling & Torres Imo ,if players don’t want to stay see you later. Cancelo was a liability imo and I for one dont miss him .

I think he thought moving to bayern would be a cakewalk and that he'd be starting every game.
Very unusual from them to be fair. They are paying a lot of money to have Joao there, but they already have a first choice at LB and Stanišić is one of their own so they are going to pick him. A lot of money to spend on a backup.

Eh. The first few times a player says they want to leave against your will, you can go 'they're toxic, they just can't handle not being guaranteed minutes'. I think in the modern era those first few were Sané and Eric Garcia and that's exactly what we all said.

Now it's happening an awful lot. Torres, Cancelo, Bernardo, Laporte, Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko have all either left or wanted to leave against our will. To me that points to players getting tired of Pep's rotation. Cancelo couldn't get back in the team because Lewis was occupying the slot, but was it Cancelo's fault that the World Cup came when it did? Laporte can't get minutes because Aké and Akanji are playing every game, but that's ultimately because those two happened to be fit at the start of the season and Laporte wasn't. I don't blame them, either; just because guys like Aké and Stones remain admirably professional even when they're not playing doesn't mean we should expect the exact same from everyone.

Players are getting sick of the rotation policy and it's leading to us losing a lot of players we'd have much rather kept. The aim at City is to create a squad where there are no guaranteed starters - but we can't pretend to be surprised when a lot of the elite players don't want to be part of a squad like that anymore. Wanting to start every important game is hardly a crime (and yes most of the above are bad examples as they've failed at their new clubs, but you can't blame players for backing themselves to be the main man).
Fair points about rotation. But don’t be confused about why City have let him go on a free loan to a Champions League rival without a fee.

He had turned toxic. Just like he has turned toxic at most of his previous clubs.

Bayern will try and dump him back to City before the end of his loan.

We did great business getting shut of Sterling & Torres Imo ,if players don’t want to stay see you later. Cancelo was a liability imo and I for one dont miss him .

We can't keep using that approach though because now players want to leave at a rate of four or five a season and we're not replacing them. We said 'see you later' to Zinchenko because he didn't want to stay and it made us far weaker. There is a very good reason why we're the only club to use this policy.

We can't keep using that approach though because now players want to leave at a rate of four or five a season and we're not replacing them. We said 'see you later' to Zinchenko because he didn't want to stay and it made us far weaker. There is a very good reason why we're the only club to use this policy.
Totally disagree with that . We are in a very fortunate position to be able use this policy .also You are throwing some numbers about there .players come players go . Only City remain .

Do you not think it’s laid out on day one what the challenge of earning the shirt is going to be, and rotation is a massive part of our success or that the entire football world knows how Pep operates? They know…Sane wanted BM & Garcia wanted Barca, Sterling can have no complaints, Pep stuck with him when he had long poor spells, Laporte & Bernie both long for the sun/Barca, Zinchenko & Torres we got great fees for & both where squad players, Cancelo was happy enough to sign a new deal then saw his ass after missing 3 games, and Jesus left after learning Haaland was coming in. All those players have been treated well, played a large part in our success and will either move on or have already with our best wishes, a big wedge & a full trophy cabinet, they can have no complaints, If you don’t want competition elite sport isn’t for you

I thought we had one of the smallest squads in the Lge. Sure a bit unbalanced and overstocked in some positions but we do have several injury prone stars. How much smaller would the squad have to be to avoid rotation? Smaller squad = more injuries and burnout.
I think we have managed resources brilliantly for most of the last 10 years. And our policy of letting those go when they wish to leave and a decent offer comes in is the right way to go.

Not sure what some posters want to see?

Fair points about rotation. But don’t be confused about why City have let him go on a free loan to a Champions League rival without a fee.

He had turned toxic. Just like he has turned toxic at most of his previous clubs.

Bayern will try and dump him back to City before the end of his loan.
Yep, fact is he was starting pretty much every game until his form dropped off a cliff. Nothing to do with squad rotation, he was dropped because he was playing like a pub player and was unpickable. And then presumably lost his shit and became toxic because he wasn't getting picked?

Last edited:
Far too early to say we should or shouldn’t, might come down to whether he can show enough humility, I don’t think he’s gone too far in his behaviours to say it’s over, but can you imagine if he comes back with a CL winners medal (for playing a bit part) and we get shafted again, I would imagine that will cause problems in itself, it wouldn’t be like Alvarez & his WC win let’s just say that. If things are as fractured in Munich as is being made out, then BM will be wary of a Trojan horse & no way he plays if we draw them, might be a way for him to earn his stripes back

City don't have any say on whether he plays or not.

Champions League rules specifically ban this sort of block in loan contracts, even if it were to be included as a clause, UEFA regulations would override it.

If he is on form and Nagelsmann thinks he is up to it, he will play against us and we knew that this was a possibility when we loaned him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.