7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may have looked reckless at times, and given the nature of his attacking role, he was out of position a lot, but he had some of the best stats in the league defensively.

Last season he was 6th highest in the whole PL for tackles which resulted in a turnover of possession - 11 more than Rodri, and nearly double as many as Bernardo, who was the third best at City.

He was 17th in the PL for recovering loose balls, with only Rodri above him at City.

He was 8th in the PL for interceptions, more than double the number Rodri made.

He was 9th in the PL for attempted tackles, and at City only Rodri had a better win % than Cancelo.

I think you’re mistaking or falsely equating making a lot of tackles for being good defensively. They’re not the same thing.

Most of Cancelo’s tackles and defensive actions came in midfield where he was an extra man and could stand off and then jump in when the opposition were outnumbered. It’s a product of the system Pep created where he was an extra man in midfield.

When actually asked to defend as a fullback he was found wanting time after time.

He may have looked reckless at times, and given the nature of his attacking role, he was out of position a lot, but he had some of the best stats in the league defensively.

Last season he was 6th highest in the whole PL for tackles which resulted in a turnover of possession - 11 more than Rodri, and nearly double as many as Bernardo, who was the third best at City.

He was 17th in the PL for recovering loose balls, with only Rodri above him at City.

He was 8th in the PL for interceptions, more than double the number Rodri made.

He was 9th in the PL for attempted tackles, and at City only Rodri had a better win % than Cancelo.

I was enjoying reading the wild and woolly opinions based on not a lot other than blarney and banter but I just knew this would happen, there’s always someone who stoops to lining factual statistics up against general impressions and gut feeling’s . . . bottom lips will be out and there’ll be tears before bedtime ;-)

I think you’re mistaking or falsely equating making a lot of tackles for being good defensively. They’re not the same thing.

Most of Cancelo’s tackles and defensive actions came in midfield where he was an extra man and could stand off and then jump in when the opposition were outnumbered. It’s a product of the system Pep created where he was an extra man in midfield.

When actually asked to defend as a fullback he was found wanting time after time.
Well, tackles and interceptions and recoveries.

He was good at all the things that Rodri rightly gets a lot of praise for, while also being expected to provide more of an attacking threat, and cover more of the pitch.

These are all stats that are used to rank defensive contribution, and I think it's unfair to suggest that he's only successful because he's in a Pep team - especially as you'd expect most Pep players not to have as much defensive work to do.

I've mixed feelings about his play, and certainly this season he was taking too many risks in dangerous positions, but he's got plenty of defensive qualities.

Well, tackles and interceptions and recoveries.

He was good at all the things that Rodri rightly gets a lot of praise for, while also being expected to provide more of an attacking threat, and cover more of the pitch.

These are all stats that are used to rank defensive contribution, and I think it's unfair to suggest that he's only successful because he's in a Pep team - especially as you'd expect most Pep players not to have as much defensive work to do.

I've mixed feelings about his play, and certainly this season he was taking too many risks in dangerous positions, but he's got plenty of defensive qualities.

I am sure that there are plenty on this thread, myself included, who will disagree with your opinions of his play.

However, I think that his demeanour, and petulant manner are the bigger obstacles to him playing in this team. Added to the fact that his positioning would suggest that he was a barrier to Grealish playing much more effectively in his absence. I suspect that Pep was only too happy to agree to him moving to Bayern.

I hope we manage to offload him in the summer.

I am sure that there are plenty on this thread, myself included, who will disagree with your opinions of his play.

However, I think that his demeanour, and petulant manner are the bigger obstacles to him playing in this team. Added to the fact that his positioning would suggest that he was a barrier to Grealish playing much more effectively in his absence. I suspect that Pep was only too happy to agree to him moving to Bayern.

I hope we manage to offload him in the summer.
Absolutely agree - Given that they've already had the same problems with his attitude at Bayern, it's definitely made sense to get him away from the squad.

I'm not suggesting he's the best defender in the world, but was replying to a post which suggested he wasn't good enough to play as a full back, which I think is incredibly harsh.

In hindsight it was crazy to do any deal without an obligation to buy. We'll be selling him for 20m in the summer or hell go on perpetual loan to Italy.

In hindsight it was crazy to do any deal without an obligation to buy. We'll be selling him for 20m in the summer or hell go on perpetual loan to Italy.
He was in the PFA team of the year last year, the FIFPRO world team of the year, even the kids who play FIFA voted him into their team of the year.

He's not going to have dropped in value to £20m just because he's a bit grumpy when he doesn't play.

Absolutely agree - Given that they've already had the same problems with his attitude at Bayern, it's definitely made sense to get him away from the squad.

I'm not suggesting he's the best defender in the world, but was replying to a post which suggested he wasn't good enough to play as a full back, which I think is incredibly harsh.

Fair enough.

The morale within the team certainly appears to have improved with his departure which is an immediate plus .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.