7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a decent rest in the summer and since has not looked the same player, as said earlier, he has had a lot of moves/clubs in his career, maybe we are seeing why.
There are no excuses for how sloppy he has been with the ball and the absurd decisions he's making with or without the ball. This is professional sports at its highest level. You are either performing or you are not. Past accomplishments are exactly that, past. There's an explanation for every player who is currently out of form. Means nothing. The player needs to work to regain their form or suffer the consequences. City cannot afford to have anyone play themselves into form in important games. City have more than enough to get it done in the Prem and the CL. Haaland, Mahrez, Foden, Grealish, and Alvarez are plenty for the forwards. Palmer not ready, simple as that. KDB, Bernardo, Gundo, and Rodri are also enough for the midfield. KDB, Bernardo, and Gundo can spell one another and I'm sure Gundo and/or Bernardo can spell Rodri at times as well. If Phillips shows some level of serious improvement subbing in late with a healthy lead or against a lesser opponent then he can be considered for a bigger role. City should be OK with Walker or Rico at RB. They have 5 CBs to choose from and even with injuries they currently have 3. I would play Ake at LB for now, so its Akanji and Laporte at CB until Stones and Dias come back. Cancelo is a fucking mess and Gomez not ready, period (see Cole Palmer). Its big boy time. Either Pep trusts his guys to play in their roles and what they're paid for or we won't win a fucking thing anyway. That said, the CL doesn't start up again until mid February. Would it fucking kill us to go get a competent, professional left back in this window.

He's back to where he was when he first arrived, sulking for whatever reason.
Is he one of the players that Pep is referring to with bad body language and the rumours of discontent within the changing rooms.....
KDB is another whose body language has stank the place out ofr at least 12 months ......as soon as something goes wrong he starts to sulk and throw his arms around.

There are no excuses for how sloppy he has been with the ball and the absurd decisions he's making with or without the ball. This is professional sports at its highest level. You are either performing or you are not. Past accomplishments are exactly that, past. There's an explanation for every player who is currently out of form. Means nothing. The player needs to work to regain their form or suffer the consequences. City cannot afford to have anyone play themselves into form in important games. City have more than enough to get it done in the Prem and the CL. Haaland, Mahrez, Foden, Grealish, and Alvarez are plenty for the forwards. Palmer not ready, simple as that. KDB, Bernardo, Gundo, and Rodri are also enough for the midfield. KDB, Bernardo, and Gundo can spell one another and I'm sure Gundo and/or Bernardo can spell Rodri at times as well. If Phillips shows some level of serious improvement subbing in late with a healthy lead or against a lesser opponent then he can be considered for a bigger role. City should be OK with Walker or Rico at RB. They have 5 CBs to choose from and even with injuries they currently have 3. I would play Ake at LB for now, so its Akanji and Laporte at CB until Stones and Dias come back. Cancelo is a fucking mess and Gomez not ready, period (see Cole Palmer). Its big boy time. Either Pep trusts his guys to play in their roles and what they're paid for or we won't win a fucking thing anyway. That said, the CL doesn't start up again until mid February. Would it fucking kill us to go get a competent, professional left back in this window.
Love it. A few nails hit squarely on the head there. Great post.

PL starts since the start of 20/21 (only defenders):

Cancelo 76
Dias 63
Laporte 57
Walker 48
Stones 42
Ake 23
(Zinchenko 15)

No doubt, Cancelo has made huge contributions to our last two titles and performances in the PL.

I'm a bit surprised that Laporte has started more PL games than Walker. Walker hasn't started more than 20 league games in a season after 19/20. His recent fitness record isn't much better than Stones'.
Its quite bad how Stones is so low down the list.

He refuses to pass the ball to anyone on the left most of the time. Always comes inside.

He basically takes the LW out of the game. I’ve been complaining about this killing grealish for 2 years, but his complete refusal to pass down the line to Foden these days puts us down to 10 men.

If I was Pep I’d be clearing the schedule to get someone coaching Gomez 1 to 1 and trialling everyone even slightly left footed in that position because we desperately need a left back.

Dived in needlessly again just before they scored their first goal. Ah absolute cretin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.