7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
A massive confidence player with no confidence combined with plenty of squd dynamics not helping.

Simultaneous drop in Walkers level means he hasnt had any consistency of play. Been in and out of the team and flipping lb and rb. Hardly condusive to getting form back.

We fail miserably with 2 attacking full backs so if Walker doesnt play rb either cancelo shifts to rb and ake comes in at lb (but doesnt feel like cancelo is anywhere near as good at rb due to not playing there much) or lewis comes in at rb and ake plays lb because you cant have lewis and cancelo playing together. So that dynamic isnt helping.

When he does play (especially recently) god knows what formation or position pep puts him in which also isnt helping.

If you want cancelo back to his level you play him through it at lb and play walker/stones/akanji at rb. Only that leaves lewis out who seems the only one doing what pep wants.

Being dropped by portugal in wc wont have helped his confidence either

Keep your knickers on .

If you don't agree that's fine but don't try being a clever **** beause you disagree

Don't try to teach me what to write.

We would never sell Cancelo to United or Arsenal, and not because they are rivals, we sold Jesus and Zinchenko. But because Pep and Txiki rate Cancelo much higher than some fans. Personally, I'm not surprised they gave him a new contract. He was mostly great for us the last 2 seasons and contributed to our titles. Plus, good age, great fitness record, etc.

Don't try to teach me what to write.

We would never sell Cancelo to United or Arsenal, and not because they are rivals, we sold Jesus and Zinchenko. But because Pep and Txiki rate Cancelo much higher than some fans. Personally, I'm not surprised they gave him a new contract. He was mostly great for us the last 2 seasons and contributed to our titles. Plus, good age, great fitness record, etc.

Right you have made it perfectly clear that you rate Cancelo , and your fucking post was condescending so no aplogy from me.

and I don't rate him, so not bothered if he does get sold because he can't get himself up to the required standard.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Bernardo was staying with Joao as his Mrs was away with the kids. After the break in during which Joao was physically assaulted in front of his wife and kids you could understand if she didn’t feel safe in the leafy suburbs of Cheshire.
The resulting stress is understandably going to affect his performances.
Let’s hope the club can provide him with the professional support he may need and recreate the environment he needs to return to his best.
Alternatively he may have already checked out and can’t wait to move on.
Blame the fuckers who broke into his house not him
Then that may explain a few things then. Rather than he’s sulking or being awkward or regressing.
I think some people forget footballers are human beings first and foremost.

I think that he is actually the same. Just previously when we had a stable backline and an excellent Walker, we can balance it. Walker picked up an injury last December. Ever since then Walker's fitness has been not very consistent as he used to be. Not a coincidence Cancelo form started to be up and down around the same time. Not helped by overplaying him and a house break-in...

I see a similarity to the case of Maguire. Once one team works out how to target you, all the other teams follow. They can smell who is not in form with confidence issues. Best thing will be some rest, rotation and recharge. Then come back a fresh guy. But the problem is that we don't have many backup options do we... Image if Ake is not available for 2 weeks then we will be in big big trouble... The only way to move forward would be buying a new LB or rent one. We don't really need some fancy ones just basic and sound defender with a left foot...

PL starts since the start of 20/21 (only defenders):

Cancelo 76
Dias 63
Laporte 57
Walker 48
Stones 42
Ake 23
(Zinchenko 15)

No doubt, Cancelo has made huge contributions to our last two titles and performances in the PL.

I'm a bit surprised that Laporte has started more PL games than Walker. Walker hasn't started more than 20 league games in a season after 19/20. His recent fitness record isn't much better than Stones'.

We didn’t have an overlapping full back when Delph played there and was inverted into centre mid, or Danilo doing the same, or Zinchenko doing the same, or Cancelo doing the same in four previous title winning seasons with Sané Sterling Foden and Bernardo playing excellently on that left forward position.

The last time I remember having a full back overlap on the left wing was Agüero’s goal against United in 2013 when we won 4-1 and Kolarov overlapped for that Nasri pass (okay I’m only joking there, maybe it was Mendy at Arsenal in 2018-19?)
Don’t remember Bernado playing too many outstanding games as a left sided forward it’s definitely not a position that’s suits him. Although, he did get a hatrick of tap ins there in the 8-0 win against Watford by keep arriving at the back post( be nice if Jack tried it). It’s not as big a problem not having an overlapping fullback if the winger is quick like Sane and Sterling. Foden was taking on and beating fullbacks 12 months ago but didn’t even take on Milner this year. No fullback offering width is then a problem as we’re constantly seeing lately.

Don’t remember Bernado playing too many outstanding games as a left sided forward it’s definitely not a position that’s suits him. Although, he did get a hatrick of tap ins there in the 8-0 win against Watford by keep arriving at the back post( be nice if Jack tried it). It’s not as big a problem not having an overlapping fullback if the winger is quick like Sane and Sterling. Foden was taking on and beating fullbacks 12 months ago but didn’t even take on Milner this year. No fullback offering width is then a problem as we’re constantly seeing lately.
In a run of games where I was moaning about Sterling being out of form on the left, Bernardo slotted in there one week and we beat Watford 8-0 with Bernardo being MOTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.