7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain why you would have a sadly regressing Cancelo over a quality, naturally left sided player like Tierney who has been injured but now getting back to his previous level?

"a sadly regressing Cancelo"

You are projecting temporary problems wrt form on his entire future career, problems inflicted at least partly by the manager due to injury problems of the other FBs at the club. I think Cancelo will regain form in several weeks.

I know what you mean about Foden, but playing left wing at City is a fool’s errand at the moment without an overlapping full back.

How we’ve not acquired a quality left back for so many years is beyond me.
We didn’t have an overlapping full back when Delph played there and was inverted into centre mid, or Danilo doing the same, or Zinchenko doing the same, or Cancelo doing the same in four previous title winning seasons with Sané Sterling Foden and Bernardo playing excellently on that left forward position.

The last time I remember having a full back overlap on the left wing was Agüero’s goal against United in 2013 when we won 4-1 and Kolarov overlapped for that Nasri pass (okay I’m only joking there, maybe it was Mendy at Arsenal in 2018-19?)

Why? Tierney is constantly injured, played 90 min twice all season and now isn’t even a guaranteed starter when fit.
Think you answered your own question, played 90 minutes twice after injuries but 14 appearances all told and a quality left back. Some players suffer from a run of injuries early in their careers, it doesn’t mean it’ll always be thus, Peter Reid?

"a sadly regressing Cancelo"

You are projecting temporary problems wrt form on his entire future career, problems inflicted at least partly by the manager due to injury problems of the other FBs at the club. I think Cancelo will regain form in several weeks.
He’s not arsed, we’ll see and I’ll gladly hold my hands up if he proves us doubters wrong.

He’s not arsed, we’ll see and I’ll gladly hold my hands up if he proves us doubters wrong.
He’s as arsed as he ever has been.

I said in the Cancelo performances thread that everyone seems to forget that, every season, Cancelo has about three months inclusively where he’s absolutely terrible.

The rest of the time he’s probably the best full back in the world so those months get forgotten about but they happen every single season.

Remember that run of wins we had in 2020-21 - 18 wins in 19 games through the Winter - Cancelo was excellent in that run but ended the season with months of performances like Leeds at home and United at home where we lost both and he was absolutely awful for goals we conceded in those games and Brighton away where he was sent off. He looked disinterested, not arsed, form was off the scale bad, then a few months into the next season you forget about that as he’s tearing the league a new one again.

You don't need to leak such information, it's obvious that virtually any squad player is available for the right price. Even Bernardo is available for the right price, and he's central to our midfield. If Cancelo is no more than a squad player, interested clubs may get him relatively on the cheap.

I wonder about those City fans who don't rate Cancelo: would you sell him to United or Arsenal? He won't make them better, right? Say, 35m and he's theirs?

Keep your knickers on .

If you don't agree that's fine but don't try being a clever **** beause you disagree

Didn’t he get robbed or a nasty burglary at his home a while ago. Some times these things manifest months or years later. His wife may be suffering or he may feel guilty or unsafe. Of course this is just speculation on my part.

He may be homesick as well.

Hopefully whatever it is he can work through it. Hopefully city fans will back and support him at games. To be fair at the ground I don’t hear much abuse coming his way.
Plus I do love the let it snow song .

Didn’t he get robbed or a nasty burglary at his home a while ago. Some times these things manifest months or years later. His wife may be suffering or he may feel guilty or unsafe. Of course this is just speculation on my part.

He may be homesick as well.

Hopefully whatever it is he can work through it. Hopefully city fans will back and support him at games. To be fair at the ground I don’t hear much abuse coming his way.
Plus I do love the let it snow song .
I read somewhere that Bernardo was staying with Joao as his Mrs was away with the kids. After the break in during which Joao was physically assaulted in front of his wife and kids you could understand if she didn’t feel safe in the leafy suburbs of Cheshire.
The resulting stress is understandably going to affect his performances.
Let’s hope the club can provide him with the professional support he may need and recreate the environment he needs to return to his best.
Alternatively he may have already checked out and can’t wait to move on.
Blame the fuckers who broke into his house not him

He’s as arsed as he ever has been.

I said in the Cancelo performances thread that everyone seems to forget that, every season, Cancelo has about three months inclusively where he’s absolutely terrible.

The rest of the time he’s probably the best full back in the world so those months get forgotten about but they happen every single season.

Remember that run of wins we had in 2020-21 - 18 wins in 19 games through the Winter - Cancelo was excellent in that run but ended the season with months of performances like Leeds at home and United at home where we lost both and he was absolutely awful for goals we conceded in those games and Brighton away where he was sent off. He looked disinterested, not arsed, form was off the scale bad, then a few months into the next season you forget about that as he’s tearing the league a new one again.
I’m not so sure this time, but as I said I hope I’m wrong, I don’t look to criticise any player unfairly but I think this has been his poorest time at the club after a decent start.

Imo Cancelo has a flakey personality and his demeanour is not good when the going is tough.

If I remember correctly something wasn't right in the Portugal camp of the WC and he wasn't played.

Whilst he has had some really good games, I think he has too many ordinary/bad games to be considered a reliable member of the team, and in his supposed best position of RB I think he is generally poor.

As there is " speculation " about teams being interested in signing him because he is not playing regularly, I wonder whether we have let it be known that we would be prepared to let him go.

I personally find him very frustrating, so would not be upset if we decide to sell him, and a miserable / unhappy player in the club is not Pep's way .

I was very surprised that the club gave him an improved contract .
He fell out with CRonaldo in training and it seemed the management team took CRonaldo’s side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.